We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

solo trip with dog in March

Bellingham, WA
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Topic
solo trip with dog in March

Hello,

I'm planning a spring break trip with my little dog Abbe for around the third week of March. I'll be traveling solo with her, and will be driving from Bellingham, WA to visit a friend in Corvallis, detouring to visit the Oregon coast in between. I'd like to stay in a place on or very close to the ocean, that would be conducive to reading, writing, and long walks with the dog, probably 4 nights total, anywhere from the north border down to Newport. I'm inclined to treat ourselves to nicer accomodations, but not a luxury budget. Cooking facilities would be a plus. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,065 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: solo trip with dog in March

lands end motel in cannon beach will give you oceanfront --steps from the beach/water and cooking facilities --many of the restaurants have dog friendly patios but march might be a bit chilly for eating out

Port Townsend...
Level Contributor
326 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: solo trip with dog in March

I know you said "north of Newport" but if you included Yachats (a good half-hour south) there are two options that take dogs, are right on the beach and adjacent to a wonderful seaside (both a sandy beach and rocky outcroppings) - the Fireside and the Overleaf. I would be marginally more partial to the Overleaf (though have never stayed at either since we are fortunate to have a family cottage nearby.) Plus Yachats is wonderful for reading and relaxing plus in late March you should be able to sight some migrating Grey whales.

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: solo trip with dog in March

In Gleneden Beach (just south of Lincoln City) check out the Beachcomber's Haven. Beachfront homes & condos (with kitchens), and many accept dogs. We stayed there in August and the location is nice - a short drive to LC or Newport but feels "away from it all".

Level Contributor
35,001 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: solo trip with dog in March

In Seaside there is the Tides by the Sea. We had an upstairs, full oceanview unit in the back. There was a small kitchen there where we enjoyed cooking our razor clams. This property is in a scenic area, down at Ave U. They have a nice outdoor pool there and you could take your long walks down the Promenade. www.seasideor.com Enjoy the coast! :)

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,065 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: solo trip with dog in March

also about 18 miles south of cannon beach in manzanita is the

http://www.sunsetsurfocean.com/ --- has everything you require -- cheaper then cannon beach and there is a discount coupon on the web site

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: solo trip with dog in March

And Sunset Surf is right next to ocean, vey walkable sandy beach. My wife took our pooch out each morn for a walk. Several others were there with dogs. Our dog a friendly little thing so she enjoyed the other dogs

It is not an upscale place, but we sure enjoyed it. Our unit had a kitchen.

I think it has a loyal clientele. Do not wait to make reservationsl

Downtown area is small but easy walk to it.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: solo trip with dog in March

Though I agree with Perrett-traveler about Overleaf Lodge, they don't allow pets there. The Fireside does, but it's not quite as nice as Overleaf. Unbeatable setting though, especially for storm-watching. And there's a good chance you'll be doing that in March.

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,065 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: solo trip with dog in March

And Sunset Surf is right next to ocean,>>

if you are going to book there ask for a room in the budd building -- its the newest one on the property

Bellingham, WA
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: solo trip with dog in March

Thanks everyone! Great suggestions.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,887 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: solo trip with dog in March

Tides by the Sea does *not* accept pets.