We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best town to stay in along the northern/central coast

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
best town to stay in along the northern/central coast

We are visiting family in Portland in July and want to spent 4-5 days on the coast. What is the best town to stay in? I have two kids 10 and 7yo who love the beach, searching for shells, etc. I have looked at Cannon Beach, Manzinita,, Arch Cape and Seaside. It is so overwhelming as they all look fantastic. Any ideas???

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,043 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best town to stay in along the northern/central coast

seaside is the best for your kids --- i personally like cannon beach and usually stay at lands end motel and its only about 20 min away from seaside --------that said manzanita is the quietest and its about 20 min south of cannon beach and it will be the cheapest in terms of hotel/motel

--- we usually stay at the sunset surf motel -in the budd building =its right across the road from the beach --- they also have a coupon on their web site for a discount

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best town to stay in along the northern/central coast

Be aware that most facilities along the coast have a 2-day minimum stay during the summer.

What is your nightly budget!?! There are a LOT of regulars here that have good knowledge of specific facilities. They can be a tremendous help to you but would hate to recommend specific lodging if it's out of your price range.

I agree with lougee about Cannon Beach and Manzanita. I prefer Manzanita b/c it's a little quieter and imo, has a better beach.

Since you mention the central coast, I'll suggest you spend two days north, either Cannon Beach or Manzanita, and two days in Yachats. You'll find that the central coast differs from the north coast in several ways. Many consider the area between Yachats and Florence to be the most scenic area along the entire coast.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,768 posts
1,036 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best town to stay in along the northern/central coast

Questions for you, snowwhiteanddoc:

Do you prefer to stay in one spot?

In addition to fun time on the beach, are you looking to do anything else such as hiking , museums , aquarium , shopping , driving around sightseeing?

Do you mind staying in one place and driving to others, or would you prefer to just enjoy strolling around and getting to know one town?

What is your lodging budget? (Specific numbers are most helpful, rather than "reasonable"!)

Many of the coastal towns have their own distinct character. Of those you mentioned...

Cannon Beach is upscale, artsy, lots of "shoppes", and very very congested. It is easily walkable and there is a free local shuttle bus. Many restaurants.

Manzanita is off the main highway, much quieter, a little "new-agey", limited lodging. They have a few places to eat but a good variety.

Arch Cape is a small bedroom community, mostly just houses and a few B&Bs. Quiet, very limited services.

Seaside is much larger than any of the above. It sprawls along the highway and is very very congested. There is an arcade and more "kid oriented" stuff to do. Lots of restaurants, including fast food places which the others don't have.

Of the above, only Seaside has a *major* grocery store, although Manzanita has a small-to-medium size one. Other than some B&Bs, Cannon Beach is the only town where most of the lodging has two (or even three) night minimum stays, to my knowledge.

All the towns have good to great beaches - Cannon Beach and particularly Seaside are busier, but none of them even approach *really* crowded like the southern Calif beaches or Miami ;-)

If you want to split up your time, Newport has a lot to do and see. There are two lighthouses both open for climbing, bay tours, museum, the top rated aquarium and other stuff, as well as of course a nice beach. It is far larger at about 10,000 population with all major services including department stores.

http://discovernewport.com/

haarlem
Level Contributor
154 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best town to stay in along the northern/central coast

And what about Gleneden Beach?

Level Contributor
34,451 posts
889 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best town to stay in along the northern/central coast

Seaside would be a great spot for your kids! Check out www.seasideor.com to see if you like it. You will be just minutes away from Cannon Beach from Seaside. Have fun! :)

haarlem
Level Contributor
154 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best town to stay in along the northern/central coast

We will be withour kids.

I just meant is Gleneden Beach a good spot to rent a house for a couple of days?

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best town to stay in along the northern/central coast

Gleneden Beach nice place. not a kid friendly beach in my view. Not a lot of town there, A thriftway grocery, 2 or 3 places to eat. no shops though Depoe Bay is close and has several. we are just back from week at Depoe Bay

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: best town to stay in along the northern/central coast

Thanks so much for your replies! Your suggestions are VERY helpful.

Luckily we are not on a budget and would like to stay in one location for 4-5 days to truly relax. My kids love to explore the beach and tide pools, searching for shells and hiking nature trails. The beautiful outdoors will entertain them!! I am leaning toward Cannon Beach or Manzanita. A nice beach to explore is my most important criteria. We will probably spend a day or two to drive and explore nearby towns and sites. I'm worried Seaside sounds too touristy.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best town to stay in along the northern/central coast

I think the Newport area would serve well your family's needs. Lots to see and to do - beaches, sea lions on and near the docks in old town, and you can visit Yachats, Cape Perpetua, Florence and the dunes, etc. A good central location and the days are long, so you'll have lots of time to explore.

Newport, OR

http://discovernewport.com/

www.aquarium.org Also, the marine science center (see website, above).

Yachats/Cape Perpetua Truly spectacular.

fs.fed.us/r6/…

Yachats, OR (La Di Da) Funky town, fun restaurant, http://www.the-drift-inn.com/

http://www.el.com/to/yachats/

http://www.yachats.org/events.html

Whale Watching, Migration

http://whalespoken.org/

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best town to stay in along the northern/central coast

we spent most of a week with our grandkids in Seaside when they were that age, we stayed a block from beach north of Broadway and that glitz. Kids loved that beach

But they liked Fogarty beach near Depoe Bay even better. beverly beach closer to Newport also good