We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need to book accomodation in August?

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Do I need to book accomodation in August?

We will be spending the first week of August travelling along the coast north of San Francisco, driving up to Portland.

We really love to hike and explore and don't want to book our accomodation in advance. We are quite happy to camp or hotel.

Is it difficult to find accomodation in late afternoon at this time of the year? I like flexibility, but the stress of going campground to campground when we just want to set up and settle down isn't appealing either.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,007 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need to book accomodation in August?

What specific coastal route are you considering? With one week, you might wish to use 101 from SF to the N. CA coast.

Edited: 14 February 2011, 17:13
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need to book accomodation in August?

August is the height of the summer season on the Oregon coast, so it's hard to advise that you not book accommodations. If you're not picky though, I expect you can find motel rooms in most coastal towns, probably much easier than you'll find campsites.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need to book accomodation in August?

yeah, the plan is to stick to highway 101 as much as possible.

We are hoping to camp as much as possible unless the weather goes to crap. We often hotwire or priceline a hotel the day we arrive, or day before. Not sure if it's possible with the smaller towns along the coast though, or at this time of year.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need to book accomodation in August?

The popular Oregon State Parks can fill up early, but if all you want is a plcae to sleep you may do ok mid-week calling motels ahead at 2 or 3 PM. Probaly won't get an ocean view. Newport has several on 101.

we have used Econo-Lodge and Penny Saver and a couple others I forget names of.when we had to work on coast.

Forest Service CGs may be available, but they likely do not have showers

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I need to book accomodation in August?

Yeah, it might be difficult to get a camp spot at the last minute but not impossible, by any means. As for hotels, I think you will be able to find ocean view hotels last minute but it depends on what town. Newport has sooo many places to stay so I would bet you could find ocean view either there or in Lincoln City.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,012 posts
1,068 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I need to book accomodation in August?

I live on the Oregon coast and travel up and down it a lot so am familiar with the lodging situation all year round.

If you are looking for just basic accommodations in an older, "mom-and-pop" motel along the main street, then you'll most likely be just fine. Nearly every town has this type of lodging. Nothing fancy, but fairly inexpensive.

Ocean front lodging books in advance and is much more expensive. Ocean view may be available in some areas.

The central and north coasts are *much* busier, but also the larger cities (Newport, Lincoln City, Astoria) have more selection. Cannon Beach is the priciest place on the coast but they do have a couple of campgrounds.

As far as camping, most of the state parks book up well ahead, but there are many private campgrounds and RV parks that accept tents. Many of them!

Just watch for the signs as you drive along :-)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,012 posts
1,068 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I need to book accomodation in August?

Oh, forgot to say, the same thing is essentially true for the far north coast of CA. Along Hwy 1 may be more difficult but Hwy 101 should be quite easy to camp, although of course it's not on the ocean!

8. Re: Do I need to book accomodation in August?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2012, 07:23