We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lincoln City or Newport

chicago
Level Contributor
93 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Lincoln City or Newport

Husband and I are spending 5 days on the coast as part of a 2 wk OR trip. Doing Portland, coast, wine country, Gorge/Mt Hood. Would you recommend Newport or Lincoln City as the better choice to use as a "home base?" More dining in Lincoln? Wish to do day trips from a central location. Any advice appreciated!

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,505 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lincoln City or Newport

My vote goes to Newport. Plenty of dining and close driving range to Depoe Bay, Yachats, Cape Perpetua, Heceta Head, Florence, the dunes, etc. Newport has more to offer in terms of historic bayfront, aquarium & marine science center, lighthouses and, in general, a more atmospheric coastal town ambiance.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lincoln City or Newport

My vote also goes to Newport as a home base. It offers more authentic ambiance than lincoln City. Although LIncoln City proper likely has more dining, shopping and hotel opportunities, it isnt anything different than you might expereince at home(other than being next to the coast). Lincoln City is more of the 'suburban ammenity' coastal city, if that makes any sense. Although there are many good things about it and some people really like the town, it wouldnt be my first choice.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,786 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lincoln City or Newport

I third Newport for all the same reasons given already.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,069 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lincoln City or Newport

Newport.

However, if you are looking for a quaint, quiet coastal town - neither one.

5. Re: Lincoln City or Newport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 02:17