We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One last lodging question before our trip

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,533 posts
413 reviews
Save Topic
One last lodging question before our trip

Thanks to many on this forum for helping in the planning. All of our lodging is set for 14 of the 15 nights. I am still going back and forth on where to stay for our stop on the southern coast. It's pretty much between Gold Beach, Brookings and maybe Smith River, CA.

We will be leaving Bandon and heading south to Arcata, CA. The main decision really hinges on a jet boat tour. I know that we can do a shorter tour on the Klamath River once we get into CA. Is the Rogue River that much better (In terms of scenery/excitement)?

If we do an afternoon on the Rogue River and stay in Gold Beach, will we be leaving too much to do from Gold Beach to Arcata, or should we stay farther south in Brookings and try and do the 2-hour Klamath River tour instead?

Beaverton, Oregon
Level Contributor
78 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One last lodging question before our trip

I've never done either jet boat tour, but from what I know of the terrain (grew up in the area), the Rogue will be better than the Klamath.

The Tu Tu Tun Lodge near Gold Beach is a lovely place. It's set inland a bit, but beautiful and scenic.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,023 posts
1,071 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One last lodging question before our trip

Gold Beach is only about a half hour from Brookings, so there is not a lot of time difference between the two, not counting stops of course ;-)

Have you tried looking on youtube for videos? I'll bet you could find some of both jet boat rides. I had intended to take the Klamath one last month when I was in the Eureka area visitng family, but didn't have time!

Tu Tu Tun is inland about 8 miles, nowhere near the ocean.

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,533 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One last lodging question before our trip

Thanks for the replies. Tu Tu Tun Lodge looks very nice, but spending over $300 for a room is not worth it when all we need is a clean bed for the night, especially when arriving in the evening and leaving early in the morning.

half-brit, I have been leaning towards Brookings, but that's why I'm asking the experts. If we do the 12-6 jet boat ride in Gold Beach, I take we'll have enough daylight to reach Brookings. What's the best stop between the two towns, perhaps thinking of the sun setting.

california
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One last lodging question before our trip

We took our teenage daughter to Oregon last year and one of the highlights was the jet boats on the Rogue. It was just like the Mastercard commercial with the sullen teenager who finally smiles as the boat is spinning around. The scenery was absolutely beautiful.

Brookings is where we plan to retire next year and we vacation there as often as we can. We sometimes stay at the Best Western Beachfront because it's right on the beach and I love to look for rocks & driftwood.

Have a wonderful trip!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,023 posts
1,071 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One last lodging question before our trip

You'll be here fairly soon, won't you, relayer? It's light until at least 9pm; I think actual sunset is about 8:30. There are many places that you'll see where you can get a nice sunset shot. One that comes to mind is Lone Ranch SP just north of Brookings... tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g51780-d2043…

Chetco Point city park or Harris Beach SP might work too... tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g51780-Activitie…

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,533 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One last lodging question before our trip

Thanks all. Brookings it will be. We'll be on the coast the first week in August.

7. Re: One last lodging question before our trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 11:17
Get answers to your questions about Oregon Coast