We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Advice - don't know how much driving to expect.

los angeles
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Advice - don't know how much driving to expect.

Hello! Hoping I can get some good advise on our upcoming trip this August. I am unfamiliar with how far Welches, OR is to the rest of Oregon and here are things my kids would love to do in our 4 days there. Please advice!

1. Tree to Treet Adventure in Gaston, OR

2. White Water Rafting tour - half or full day - not sure which is closest to Welches, OR near Mt. Hood

3. Fishing?

4. Columbia River Gorge

The rest of the time I would love to go to the Saturday Market and the Grotto. Would have loved to see Sea Lion Caves but I think it is too far from Welches....

Thanks guys!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Advice - don't know how much driving to expect.

1. Gaston is over on the west side of Portland metro, near Forest Grove, so I'd guess it would be about 2 hours one way.

2. ?

3. Do you mean a fishing trip on a boat, or fishing from shore on a river?

4. You can do a circle route. Take Hwy 26 west to I-84, then get on the historic Columbia River Hwy. Keep going east to Hood River, then return via Hwy 35. Full day.

Welches is about an hour, maybe hour plus, from Portland. Sea Lion Caves is about 4 hours one way, not counting any stops.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Advice - don't know how much driving to expect.

1. Tree to Tree is near Hagg Lake, which I'd put closer to 1.5 hours from Welches, provided you're not unusually tied up in traffic through Portland and on hwy 26.

2. Best closest option, I think, is the Deschutes River, with trips leaving from Maupin, OR. Should be about an hour from Welches. You might also look at trips on the White Salmon in WA.

3. Closest fishing would be either the Salmon or Sandy River, or on some lake up Mt. Hood.

4. Agree with half-Brit. You are positioned perfectly for a Gorge - Mt. Hood loop.

You wouldn't have to go as far as Sea Lion Caves, which many think is a rip-off anyway, to see sea lions. They're also on the docks along the Newport waterfront, and it's a more up-close experience.

Are you aware of Skibowl's Adventure Park; http://www.skibowl.com/summer/park-overview/ ? Your kids would probably love it. Or that you can ride the chairlift at Timberline: http://www.timberlinelodge.com/rates-info/ ?

Edited: 27 July 2011, 21:18
los angeles
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Advice - don't know how much driving to expect.

Thanks for the tip on skibowl - kids would love that!

Thanks for mentioning both the Deschutes and Wild Salmon river rafting adventures - we are all first timers but since my boys are 14 and 15, the company River Drifters that I called suggested we do the Wild Salmon 1/2 day vs. the Deschutes full day run since it is more exciting (Class 4 vs Class 3). What do you think?

Have either of you heard of Rainbow Trout Fishing in Sandy, OR? This is again, first time for all of us.

Thanks for all the helpful advice and taking time to answer my questions!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Advice - don't know how much driving to expect.

I've never been on the White Salmon, but have enjoyed several trips on the Deschutes. Unless your boys are adrenalin junkies, I think they'll be fine with Class 3's, especially as first-timers. Class 4's, on the other hand, might be a little too thrilling for some first-timers. I think the weather is more reliably sunny on the Deschutes, but either river would be fine, so just pick the one that best fits into your schedule.

I've heard of, but never been to Rainbow Trout Farm. It's the kind of place where you're pretty much guaranteed to catch fish, so probably fun for someone who's never fished before. But not really an authentic fishing experience.

los angeles
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Advice - don't know how much driving to expect.

Thank you so much for all your advice! Extremely helpful! :-)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Advice - don't know how much driving to expect.

You're welcome, and have a great trip!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,406 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Advice - don't know how much driving to expect.

I went to the trout farm when I was a kid- I still remember it so that must mean something... since your boys are 14/15 I'd doubt they'ed really like it- its more for the 12 and younger set.

If the kids are really into fishing, you might think about doing a guide service for sturgeon fishing on the Columbia or Wilamette...

8. Re: Itinerary Advice - don't know how much driving to expect.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 03:15