We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with 2-day Coast itinerary

Hendersonville, NC
Level Contributor
693 posts
Save Topic
Need help with 2-day Coast itinerary

Well, as much as I knew how much I'd be missing out on by just doing a one-day drive-through of the coast from Portland during my month-long road trip out West next September, seeing Relayer's absolutely amazing photo albums floored me last night, and it's like a lighbulb went off in my head: I MUST add a second day to the drive - even at the cost of a day in San Francisco (with free lodging) that will now give me less than two days in San Fran. So, while I realize even two days on the OR coast still isn't nearly enough, two days is better than one, right?

So now I need your help.

***I'll be leaving Portland on the morning of Monday, Sept. 17, and I still want to have lunch at the Rogue Brewery in Newport, and am willing to leave Portland at the crack of dawn, if that helps with your suggested itinerary. So first, should I shoot straight to Newport via highway, or drive to Tillamook, or Lincoln City, and start my coastal drive in either of these two places on the way to Newport? I'd also really like to visit a lighthouse, and am I correct in my research that if I'm going to visit just one, Heceta Head in Yachats would be the one?

***I'm figuring Rogue and Heceta Head would be my only two stops (other than quick rest/bathroom breaks), and that I'd try and get the majority of the way down the coast on Monday, since I'd really like to spend a little time at some of the spectacular areas on the southern coast on Tuesday before arriving in Crescent City and spending the night there. Which town would you recommend staying in? Was looking at Bandon, which looks beautiful, but the lodging is a bit out of my price range, especially since I'll be leaving there early in the morning. Then again, I am tempted to splurge a little based on the view from the Bandon Beach Motel.

***Finally, on Tuesday, I'll have all day to drive and do a little exploring on the southern coast, and wondered, in your expert opinions, what would be a couple of must-see places. Won't have much time at each place, so just want to see the most spectacularly scenic, photo-friendly areas that are pretty easily accessible from Highway 101, with maybe a short hike or run at one or two of the places. What jumped out at me from Relayer's photos were Sister's Rock/Devil's Backbone Rocky Shore, and Cape Sebastian. All I've got to say is WOW!

Just to sum up, please keep in mind that this two-day drive will be all about nature, so, other than lunch at Rogue on Monday and a nice (affordable) seafood dinner in whatever town I'm staying that night, I won't have time to do exploring of any of the towns themselves that I'll be passing through, so shopping, museums, aquariums, ect., won't be what I'm looking for

Thanks!

Hendersonville, NC
Level Contributor
693 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with 2-day Coast itinerary

Looks like the lighthouse in Tillamook is also worth seeing, so I'm thinking get a very early start and go from Portland to Tillamook and start the coastal drive there. If I start early enough, I'm thinking lunch in Newport will be doable.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,567 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with 2-day Coast itinerary

What lighthouse in Tillamook? Tillamook is inland. I'd go from Portland to Lincoln City via Hwy 18.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with 2-day Coast itinerary

HI mtnwriter, me again ;-)

You're probably referring to Tillamook Rock? That's offshore about a mile, visible from Ecola State Park. Or . . . are you referring to Cape Meares? That's near to Tillamook.

In my opinion, it's not worth taking the time to see it as it's a short little lighthouse that is truly "out of the way".

Heceta Head lighthouse is closed for reconstruction now, for about 1-2 years.

Alternatives in the same classic style would be Yaquina Head in Newport (Oregon's tallest) or Cape Blanco (off Hwy 101 about 6 easy miles). Crescent City has Battery Point that is unique on the west coast as it can only be accessed at low tide over the causeway.

http://www.nwcoast.com/lighthouses/oregon.asp

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60944-d11…

There are dozens and dozens of scenic places to stop along the southern coast!

Hendersonville, NC
Level Contributor
693 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with 2-day Coast itinerary

Sorry, I was referring to Cape Meares.

So half-Brit, not worth doing the loop drive to see the lighthouse, trail, octopus tree, ect.? Sounds like a nice spot, but of course you know the area a lot better than I do.

Wow, what a bummer about Heceta Head Lighthouse. Looks like a gorgeous spot, it's listed on several "Top 10 Lighthouses in the U.S." lists and I was really, really looking forward to it. I'm going to call the parks Service later and see if, by next September (2012) when I arrive, if it will be just the inside of the lighthouse that will be closed. Would love to at least walk up there and get that incredible photo shot aof the lighthouse and rocky bay down below.

By the way, looking at staying that one night in Florence at Le Chateau ($70 and decent reviews), then make the rest of the way south to Crescent City on the second day. Thoughts?

Thanks to both of you for your input. I'm really excited about this portion of my road trip.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help with 2-day Coast itinerary

>> not worth doing the loop drive <<

Ah, you have now touched on one of the coastal attractions that the Oregon posters can *never* agree upon! LOL.

My opinion is that if one is traveling the length of the Oregon coast, that the Three Capes loop is not worth the bother. There are ocean views along only about half of it. The southern section of the coast between Port Orford and the border is much more spectacular.

Cape Meares lighthouse is up on a hill with a good view, but the lighthouse itself is just a short little building. Cape Foulweather, Otter Crest (both just north of Newport) and Cape Perpetua (just south of Yachats) both have views that are just as spectacular. As do Cape Blanco and Cape Sebastian, farther south.

Florence to Crescent City is a fairly easy drive which will give you time to stop and walk or take a short run.

Yes, it will be worth calling about the lighthouse. I'd forgotten you're not coming until 2012, so who knows it may be ahead of schedule and open by then! On the other hand, it is a government project ... ;-)

6. Re: Need help with 2-day Coast itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 11:18