We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oregon Coast

Kansas City...
2 posts
Save Topic
Oregon Coast

Hi All, In 2011 my partner and I hiked The Badlands (SD), Yellowstone and Grand Teton for 2 wks, It was an amazing adventure. In 2012 we are planing on hiking the Oregon Coast for 2 wks from Cape Disappointment (WA) to Harris Beach (OR). Renting a car in Portland and driving from State Park to State Park. We are also planning on staying in State Park Yurts along the way. My questions for all of you are. First, what is the best time to be their, the last 2 wks of Sept. vs. the 1st 2 wks of Oct. Second question is suggestions on must do hikes and perhaps ideas about getting shuttled (taxi, bus service-ect.) on some of the longer Day Hikes. Here's a list of some of the hikes that we are interested in doing. Cannon Beach, Ecola (Tillamook Head), Oswald West (Cape Falcon), Oswald West (Neahkahnie Mt.), The Three Capes (Mears, Lookout and Kiwanda), Cascade Head (to the Heads tip), Beverly Beach-Devils Punch Bowl, Ona Beach-Seal Rock Cape Perpetua Scenic Area, Hecta Head-Carl Washburne, Umpqua Dunes and Lighthouse, Sunset Beach-Shore Acres-Cape Blanco, Bandon Islands (Devils Kitchen), Floras Lake (Blacklock Point), Cape Blanco, Cape Sebastian, Samuel Boardman and Harris Beach. Hiking is a Spiritual Experience for us. We are looking for rugged beauty, solitude (to listen to the sounds of nature), wildlife (sea lions, tide pools, birds, elk and butterflies-ect.), native plants (trees and flowers) and awesome sunsets. Your suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,289 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oregon Coast

very cool idea... all the hikes you have outlined are very good and sounds like you've done your homework.

You will likely need to rent a car- there isnt really any bus service(i.e. grayhound) along the coast- there are some local buses that serve some of the bigger cities during tourist season, but they dont really travel from town to town. Taxi idea might be an option(more so on the N coast), but might get expensive quick. The only real shuttle I'm aware of for longer day hikes is the shuttle service for the Fort to Sea Trail near Astoria, at least during the summer, you'll have to check out when it stops for the season. It a nice hike but not quite as much solitude as your likely thinkingn about.

As far as dates, I would shoot for the last two weeks of Sept. October is the transition month so diffilcult to reliably predict weather(not that weather is predictable)... as far as Yurt camping, you need to reserve early as they are popular year around...

Note that you will find more solitude on the southern coast, just cause its farther away from population centers.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,716 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oregon Coast

saltwatertides.com/dynamic.dir/oregonsites.h…

Along with all the hiking guides that will be informing your decisions, be sure to double-check the tide tables with your itinerary and hiking plans. Many of the coastal hikes should be taken at low tide (minus tides, if possible) to both offer you the best tidal pool experiences and ensure that incoming tides don't trap you in difficult situations.

This summer, we were at Cape Kiwanda during a minus tide period and were amazed at the vertical sea life colonies exposed. A lot of luck is involved in finding sea life along the various hikes. I often participate in and lead hikes at Washburne St. Park along the shore, Hobbit Trail, Valley and China Creek Loops (occasionally up to Heceta Head lighthouse also). There's a stretch where sometimes one can find unlimited whole sand dollars; other times nary a one. This is one spot where you don't want to be when a high tide is incoming. Best time to start most such hikes is an hour prior to low tide.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oregon Coast

Timing - Although October is often decent, this year it rained 13 of the first 15 days of the month on the coast. By contrast, it rarely rains in Sept.

Transport - Only the larger coastal towns have taxis - Astoria, Seaside, Lincoln City, Newport, Florence, North Bend/Coos Bay, and Brookings.

Those cities also have bus service year round.

Some of the bus service does include smaller towns near to the larger ones.

Lodging - Reserve yurts just as soon as you can. They are *very* limited and book up far in advance.

Solitude - Many of the public areas you mention are located near Highway 101 and you will hear and see cars, RVs and trucks!

Do also please be aware that although the "beach" is public, many thousands of people live on the oceanfront and they own private property.

4. Re: Oregon Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2012, 04:17