We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with planning Oregon Coast trip in August

disneymom
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
Help with planning Oregon Coast trip in August

We are planning to take our RV along the Oregon Coast. We want to go as far as San Francisco because our son wants to spend his birthday there. This is our first big trip with our RV after just a couple over nighters when we bought it last summer. We are a family of 5 with kids who are 12,7,6. We are not hikers but would like to get out and do small walks and the kids are excited to fly kites, play in tide pools and the sand. We also love the typical touristy stuff like aquariums, museums. The things we definitely want to do so far are Tillamook cheese tour, jet boat tour and dune buggies. We have roughly 14 days for this trip and would like to stay right on the coast on the way down and probably just the I-5 to save time on the trip home. Our first stop will be Astoria since it's only 5-6 hours from home and we'd like to visit the Maritime Museum, the Column and hopefully ride the trolley.

My biggest concern is how often and how far to go between campsites. We'd like the kids to have a few days to chill and ride bikes around at some stops but we also don't mind doing a few day trips from our campsites either. Are there certain towns,attractions or state parks that you can recommend that we can stay in one place and visit 2 or more? I'm hoping that makes sense the way I wrote it:)

I know we could take a month and still not see everything so I'd love to hear peoples favorite spots and tips for this trip.

Also, since it's hubbys first big drive anything I should warn him about on the drive?

Thanks in advance!

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with planning Oregon Coast trip in August

You can start your planning here (find the list of camprounds in the left column):

http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/PARKS/index.shtml

Since you are starting your Oregon adventure in Astoria, I suggest you take a look at Ft Stevens State Park, 8 miles SW of there. There are a TON of activities for kids of all ages to merit staying a couple nights.

Hwy 101, with only a very few exceptions, is a typical two-lane road with occasional passing area. Yeah, some sections are not as well maintained as others, but there are no real DANGEROUS areas. Do remind your husband that, while he shouldn't stress about this, there are people that make a living using hwy 101, and if he see's more than 4 or 5 vehicles behind him at any given point, the courteous and respectful thing to do is to pull off at the nearest SAFE location and let traffic pass.

Not that it should necessarily be your next stop, but either Beverly Beach or South Beach State Parks near Newport would be a good stopping point. I say it might not be your next stop b/c from Ft Stevens to Beverly Beach in an RV is about a 3.5 hr drive without stops. Factor in your stop in Tillamook and several other's I'm certain you'll want to make, and it could be a long day!

Beverly Beach would be my first choice. It's located across the hwy from a GREAT beach (there is an underpass under hwy 101 for pedestrians) and there are a ton of activities for everyone in the Newport area, such as lighthouses, an aquarium, a marine science center and the bayfront.

An often overlooked stopping point, primarily b/c it's 12 miles off of hwy 101, is Sunset Bay State Park, SW of Coos Bay. It's an absolutely BEAUTIFUL area, with a small cove beach and only a mile from Shore Acres State Park, which is a formal Japanese style garden on the former site of a local timber barron. Beverly Beach to Sunset Bay, again without stopping is about a 3 hr drive. With a stop near Florence for a dune buggy ride, this could be a manageable day, though once again, I suspect you'll be stopping at several points along the way as many consider the stretch of hwy from about Yachats south to Florence one of the most beautiful sections of hwy 101.

Along the south coast, take a look at Cape Blanco, Humbug Mt, and Harris Beach State Parks. All three are very nice parks, however, Harris Beach is just north of Brookings and just a few miles north of the California border. You MIGHT want to stop before then. If that's the case, either of the other two parks are good choices.

One final comment; you don't say when you'll be traveling, but reservations are a MUST if you will be traveling between May and September along the coast.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,768 posts
1,036 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with planning Oregon Coast trip in August

If you would like full hookups, they are limited in the State Parks - very limited in some cases. So you must book *far* in advance for hookups! Months.

Here is a list of more RV parks and campgrounds along the Oregon coast from north to south, with brief information about them plus websites. Click on the blue link:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g1438848-c137301/Oreg…

3. Re: Help with planning Oregon Coast trip in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 06:15