We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insects?

King William...
Level Contributor
85 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
Insects?

Are mosquitos a problem? We live in AZ and have virtually no flying insects with our low humidity. We arrive Thursday and spend a week on the coast- Gold Beach, Bandon and Yachats.

Thanks

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,145 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Insects?

I grew up in northern Illinois and remember being eaten alive by mosquitoes in summer. I've seen them only RARELY in Oregon -- usually in areas near stagnant ponds and when it's really hot. Haven't had a bite in at least 20 years!

Oregon
Level Contributor
28 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Insects?

You likely won't be bothered by mosquitos at the coast.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Insects?

shouldnt be a problem on the coast in May- Skeeters aren't useually a problem till June/July in certain areas...

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,825 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Insects?

July is usually the big month for mosquitoes in the mountains. The coast doesn't pose as much of a problem and, in May, there shouldn't be any problem at all. The bears may be moseying around along the coast, however...which is a good thing if you're taking a jetboat ride up the Rogue out of Gold Beach.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,384 posts
1,083 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Insects?

In May? No, you might only see a stray mossie or two here and there.

Just inland from the coast in rural areas there are a LOT of mosquitos in the summer. We have so many lakes, ponds, streams, bogland and so forth they can be a real problem, especially at dusk. Out on the sand or in towns, no.

No see'ums are worse, IMO!

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
4,317 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Insects?

The lack of bugs is one of the many reasons I love living in the Pacific Northwest.

Level Contributor
36,976 posts
946 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Insects?

No, not a problem here at the coast! I hope you have a great trip. :)

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,070 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Insects?

By the previous comments, I can only assume that several of the above posters don't spend a lot of time outside!!

I just returned from two days working on my home on the north coast, which is a mere 1 1/2 blocks from the beach, and the day before that fishing on the lower Columbia and I can tell you for certain the mosquito population is alive and well!

Will it get worse, YES! But the winters are so mild along the coast that the natural mosquito control (freezing water) is mostly non existent. If you are at all susceptible to insect bites, wear protection, especially in the early mornings and evenings, or if you are anywhere near a body of fresh water such as a lake or river. As was mentioned, on the beach or in any of the larger towns, there's probably northing to worry about ,YET.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,384 posts
1,083 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Insects?

LOL I wondered the same, dengay ;-) We've only had a very few so far this year though.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,070 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Insects?

They were pretty thick in my backyard yesterday as well, and I have the welts to prove it!!