We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rockaway Beach?

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Rockaway Beach?

Hi

We're (group of 3 adults and one 8yr old) currently looking to rent somewhere for a week in August and one of them happens to be in Rockaway Beach. I'm trying to get a feel for the place to see if this would suit us. We are looking for a small town which has a good beach for exploring and walking and also some places to eat we could possibly walk to for meals out. Also well located for day trips out by car to other parts of the coast.

Does Rockaway beach fit this sort of a description? Any insight into the area would be much appreciated, thank you.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,356 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rockaway Beach?

Hmmm, not really. It does have a nice long beach but there are very limited places to eat in town, and the town itself is a long narrow string. If you look at it on Googlemaps and then click on the "Satellite" button, I think you'll get an idea of what it looks like.

There are lakes at the north end, lakes at the south end, then from the west it's ocean, strip of motels and homes, the dune/hill, the RR tracks, Highway 101, then some businesses, then local homes, then the hills.

Along the north coast, I think either Manzanita or Cannon Beach would suit you better - the former is quieter and less upscale.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,070 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rockaway Beach?

I agree with half-Brit. Rockaway Beach has what might be the longest continuous beach along the entire coast, but the town itself in kind of trashy.......always has been (I grew up nearby and attended high school there).

Manzanita, Cannon Beach, Pacific City, or Neskowin would be better choices with Manzanita being my top recommendation.

Level Contributor
36,944 posts
946 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rockaway Beach?

Manzanita or Cannon Beach would meet your needs. Both of these places are beautiful, Cannon Beach is one of the most popular places on the northern coast tho, I would book asap if you think you want to stay there. August is high tourist season.

www.cannon-beach.net :)

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rockaway Beach?

Thank you for the help on this, we are now looking at properties in Manzanita and Cannon Beach, although we think Manzanita might be the best area for us.

Thank you

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rockaway Beach?

Thank you for the help on this, we are now looking at properties in Manzanita and Cannon Beach, although we think Manzanita might be the best area for us.

Thank you

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,070 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rockaway Beach?

Manzanita will be perfect for you!! The other nice thing about Manzanita is it is easy to tour both north and south from there.......makes a good home base.

Level Contributor
36,944 posts
946 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rockaway Beach?

Try to plan on spending some time at Oswald West State Park whle in Manzanita. Take the walk back to Short Sands Beach there. We love playing golf at the Manzanita course. In downtown, there is a nice spa there, also.

Enjoy your time at the coast! :)

Edited: 16 May 2012, 17:03
8. Re: Rockaway Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 00:40