We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oregon Coast Suggestions Needed

San Jose, California
1 post
Save Topic
Oregon Coast Suggestions Needed

My wife and I are planning a trip in our RV to the Central/Southern Oregon Coast July 29 - through Aug 4. We are looking to stay near a beach where we can surf fish and dig for razor clams. What city would be the best for this and other activities. We are in our 50's and active? Thank you.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,383 posts
1,083 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oregon Coast Suggestions Needed

Hi and welcome to TripAdvisor. Somebody here may correct me, but I'm reasonably certain that razor clams are found mainly along the northern coast, and a bit along the central part. I don't believe I've heard of razor clamming alongthe south coast.

Did you have a possible destination in mind?

Are you looking for an RV park with hookups on the beach (not too many) or more of a rustic state park campground back in the trees?

I'm a long time Rver and we've stayed at many of the RV parks along the coast.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,144 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oregon Coast Suggestions Needed

If you belong to Thousand Trails, my mom and stepdad always enjoyed the TT campgrounds at Pacific City when visiting from Arizona. Very nice sites and a walkway down to the beach. They also stayed at Schooner Landing and South Beach around Newport, but Pacific City was their favorite.

Edited: 02 June 2012, 05:38
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oregon Coast Suggestions Needed

Hate to break it to you, but clamming is closed from July 15-Sept 30 to protect juvenile Razors... www.dfw.state.or.us/mrp/shellfish/razorclams/

Razors are best found on the northern oregon beaches and up to Long Beach, WA- (there are probably some on the central WA beaches, but not familar with those). The 'best' places are Seaside up to Astoria, where there is great habitat for razors- long wide sandy beaches.

Google 'ODFW surf fishing' and you'll find other info on surfperch fishing- which should be open...

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,383 posts
1,083 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oregon Coast Suggestions Needed

Thanks Chinookgrrl :-)

RV park at Schooner Landing? Don't think so..... those are timeshares.

Dappaw59, with some more input from you we can be of more assistance in helping you decide on an RV park or campground. If you're thinking of a state park you must book ASAP.

Edited: 02 June 2012, 20:58
Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,144 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oregon Coast Suggestions Needed

My bad -- The RV park I was referring to in Newport is next to the Schooner Landing resort.

6. Re: Oregon Coast Suggestions Needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 17:16