We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where is the central coast beauty?

bloomington, indiana
5 posts
Save Topic
where is the central coast beauty?

Hello!

We have only one day to visit the coast in late June. We will be travelling from Portland, but will spend the night in Salem. It seems we should plan on our day being in the central part of the coast for easy access to Salem later that night. We have visited and loved the north part of the Oregon coast many times-- our favorite is Oswald West state Park with the cliffs, waterfall, small crowds and utter beauty. Does anyone have any recommendations for that kind of coast experience near Lincoln City? I don’t think we want to be in Lincoln City though – we don’t need salt water taffy or outlet malls. We will have 4 children between our two families, so we want to keep the driving to as much of a minimum as possible.

Thank you so much in advance!

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where is the central coast beauty?

Well, I know Os West quite well as I worked/managed the park for over 20 years...........There is nothing in the LC area that really compares, unfortunately. Neskowin, on the north side of Cascade Head about 8 miles north of LC is probably the closest thing you'll find in that area. It's not really a "town", but rather a location, but it's quite beautiful, somewhat isolated, and has a nice beach.

Now, if you wanted to venture a little further south (~ 2 hrs), from Yachats south is some of the most spectaular scenery along the coast. There are MANY spots here that come close to Os West!!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where is the central coast beauty?

Agree with Den Yachats south to Florence is one of the best we have. You could turn around at Sea Lion Caves and head for Salem because you will have seen the best by then.

Edited: 05 June 2012, 20:50
Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where is the central coast beauty?

The first place that came to mind for me is Fogarty (http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_220.php) ... but I've never been to Os West. It probably pales in comparison, but it's an easy drive from Salem.

In the LC area Drift Creek Falls (…usda.gov/recarea/…) is a nice waterfall hike with a cool suspension bridge, not too far off Hwy 101.

4. Re: where is the central coast beauty?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 20:16