We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Got 3 days in July to explore oregon coast fr portAngeles

Yuba City...
Level Contributor
60 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Got 3 days in July to explore oregon coast fr portAngeles

What do you recommend for a family w a 7yo and 3 yo. We do not need to see inlands of washington or oregon. We will get to port Angeles fr Victoria, bc about 2-3pm. Should be go along the coast of Washington or Western washington? Where should we stay for the night? How far south should we go along the Oregon coast before we have to cross over to take hwy 5 back to Sacramento, ca? Thanks for your help in advance.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Got 3 days in July to explore oregon coast fr portAngeles

I would cross over at Reedsport to Roseburg.

Will you have already visited Olympic NP? If not you may want to visit Hoh Rain Forest and the beaches of ONP, and maybe spend night in Quinault or Aberdeen. Then head for Astoria on 101.

Other than that I would take 101 along Hood Canal and to Olympia then at Kelso head for Astoria on US-30.

Edited: 08 June 2012, 15:31
Yuba City...
Level Contributor
60 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Got 3 days in July to explore oregon coast fr portAngeles

We have not visit Olympic. On June 28th, Thurs afternoon we will be leaving Sacramento CA for our road trip thru Oregon, Washington, Vancouver, Victoria, down the coast, then back to Sacramento by 7/8 Sunday. We have never been to the North Pacific Coast. We do not need to explore inlands of Oregon nor Washington this time. We can do that another time, shorter trips.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Got 3 days in July to explore oregon coast fr portAngeles

I missed you were getting to PA 2-3 o'clock. You can't do Hoh RF very well that late. Only thing you might do is Hurrican Ridge

Not sure what day you get to PA, but if you have only three days from PA to get to sacramento, you really do not have time to do ONP, move on to Olympia or Chehalis or further for the night.

Edited: 08 June 2012, 18:54
Yuba City...
Level Contributor
60 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Got 3 days in July to explore oregon coast fr portAngeles

thanks for your help. we have 3 days to spend from PA and along the coast. 1 day to drive to Sacramento..Total 4 days

Yuba City...
Level Contributor
60 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Got 3 days in July to explore oregon coast fr portAngeles

Phirl, should we take 38 then 138 fro reedsport to Roseburg? Are there must see places for the kids along the coast? Can we have 1 camping night or that's pushing it?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,012 posts
1,068 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Got 3 days in July to explore oregon coast fr portAngeles

Hi and welcome to TripAdvisor. Do you have a map of Washington and Oregon available that you can look at - even one online?

You do not have enough time to see Olympic National Park because you have a lot of travelling to do to get back home and not much time!

Hwy 101 in Washington does not go along the coast like it does in Oregon and northern California.

From Port Angeles, I would suggest taking the Eastern route of 101. This is confusing because 101 also goes around the northwestern corner of the state. The Eastern route goes east then southbound along Hood Canal.

-> This is where you really need a map to look at!

Then head toward Aberdeen (I don't klnow the highway number) . There is a short road that cuts across so you don't go all the way to Aberdeen, then you'll be back on Hwy 101 southbound. Stay on that to Long Beach WA or Astoria OR and spend the night there.

That route is about 4½ hours from Port Angeles.

You have 3 nights total?

Or 4?

We can make suggestions for your stops along the Oregon coast but need to know the total number of *nights* you have.

If you have enough time you can take Hwy 101 all the way south to Hwy 20 south of Willits then go inland over to I-5. You join I-5 at Williams.

Remember you will need passports to get into Canada :-)

Edited: 08 June 2012, 20:40
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Got 3 days in July to explore oregon coast fr portAngeles

Yuba City?? Redwoods not that far from you. Think I would spend my time as far north as you can. So not sure I would drive on down 101 to Hwy CA-20. Do agree with Half-brit you may be best to leave 101 south of Shelton on SR-108, then SR-8, then US-12, then SR 107 to 101. It is shorter to Astoria.

If day 1 you are near Astoria, you have one more night on coast. Newport possible stop. Inland from Reedsport on 38 and 138.

Edited: 08 June 2012, 22:32
Yuba City...
Level Contributor
60 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Got 3 days in July to explore oregon coast fr portAngeles

This is so helpful. We have 3 nights along the coast. We have been thru hwy 20 and don't think we want to go thru such windy road back, being tired and all. What do u suggest?

Yuba City...
Level Contributor
60 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Got 3 days in July to explore oregon coast fr portAngeles

This is so helpful. We have 3 nights along the coast. I agree w phirl. We have been thru hwy 20 and don't think we want to go thru such windy road back, being tired and all.

Yuba City...
Level Contributor
60 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Got 3 days in July to explore oregon coast fr portAngeles

Where should we stay in Astoria? Is it a stretch to find a place to camp out for 1 night? Any good places to eat along the way. We love good food, anywhere, any place? Thanks guys for your help