We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crabbing

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Crabbing

We are going to Sunset Bay CG soon. Last time we went had a couple of youngsters so we went crabbing in Charleston. About 10 of us went. We bought maybe 4 licenses, so we had designated crabbers. We got one for my wife, and not for me. Was not really sure what I could do and be legal. Pretty much figured those who pulled the pots up better have license, but maybe those who did not could at least check the catch for size and sex.

For price of license for two you can buy a couple of crabs on docks.

This time there will be maybe 8 adults. the youngsters not coming, so will be discussing whether we want to crab and how many licenses to buy. Was so much simpler when you did not need crabbing license

Both wife and I have lifetime Fishing/hunting licenses. since we have been here so long.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crabbing

My mother-in-law has a lifetime crabbing license. ;-)

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crabbing

I have a lifetime fishing license but still have to get crabbing, or shellfish license. How did she get that?

Edited: 23 June 2012, 04:03
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,697 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crabbing

Just apply Phirl. Max has one too.

MrsO

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crabbing

OK I will try, I have before and been told crabbing is different, but maybe they improved

Edited: 23 June 2012, 04:39
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crabbing

Maybe I should have phrased that differently. How about, it seems my mother-in-law has a lifetime license to (be a) crab. ;-)

I have no idea if you can actually get a lifetime crabbing license though.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,697 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crabbing

I was on the understanding that once you got a lifetime license, they were all life time licenses.

Maybe I am wrong.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,005 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crabbing

Pretty sure, like tags (salmon/steelhead; deer; elk; et al), a shelfish lic has to be purchased even if you have a lifetime lic.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,697 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crabbing

Oh, yes, we have to renew it each year (which we don't). We have to renew all each year. Oh MY, a deer and elk license and he doesn't hunt anymore.

I miss that.

Mrso

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crabbing

Think Den has that right. Shellfish fee is like hunting tags. I don't hunt any more, so do not remember now what all requires a tag

Edited: 23 June 2012, 21:46
Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,992 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crabbing

:-D I get it thrumylens. I too have a lifetime crabby license -- but I rarely use it. And for that, Mrs. OJ is grateful!