We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle/Oregon Coast trip--near final itinerary, opinions

Syracuse, Utah...
Level Contributor
63 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Seattle/Oregon Coast trip--near final itinerary, opinions

Here is a breakdown of our itinerary for our trip. Please share any ideas or opinions. We are a family of five. Kids ages 5, 2, and 18 months. We obviously geared this to be a family oriented and a somewhat laid back trip with the kids and all. So family oriented activities are a must. We are mainly coming to the coast for the scenery and a break from the everyday life. I am not a super structured person. I don't like having each day packed from sunrise to sunset with activities. I am posting this on the Seattle forum as well. Thanks for any input. We are traveling by car from UT. We tried to set up a base camp instead of bouncing around and having to switch rooms frequently (too difficult with young kids).

Friday- Arrive in Seattle in the evening. Will be staying at a vacation rental located on the Puget Sound from Friday to Monday.

Saturday (In Seattle)- Pike Place Market (want to get some fresh seafood to cook up and eat on our deck overlooking the Puget Sound), meander around the city, basically do some sight-seeing, possibly visit a beach. Look out on the pier.

Sunday (In Seattle)- Day trip to Whidbey Island (suggestions?).

Monday(In Seattle)- Will be going on the Ride the Ducks tour and perhaps the Point Defiance Zoo or Pacific Science Center

Tuesday- Leaving Seattle early in the AM and spending a night in Seaside. Plan on visiting Cannon Beach and again just sight-seeing, visiting some little shops (candy shops for the kiddos :)

Wednesday-Driving to Newport where we will stay Wednesday-Sunday at a beachfront rental. Plan on visiting the Tillamook Cheese factory on the drive to Newport. Also, I have considered stopping and checking out Astoria as we are passing through...opinions?

Thursday- Visit the Newport Aquarium, explore the beach/tidepools, check out the Yaquina Bay Lighthouse and Yaquina Head Lighthouse

Friday- Going on an early morning whale tour with Carrie Newell. Exploring the city, visit Nye Beach, walk the bayfront....hoping to see some sea lions. My kids would love that. Are they still on the docks (I had read somewhere they were thinking about getting rid of the docks the sea lions inhabit)?

Saturday-Visit Cape Perpetua, perhaps go on a small hike, have a picnic. Just relax.

Sunday- Leaving Newport. I am not sure where I want to go from here. The drive from Newport to our home in UT is about 14 hours. More than what I care to spend in a car with kids. I would like to travel somewhere closer towards UT to break up the trip a bit. I have considered spending a night in the Dalles, someone recommended I take a different route and spend a night in Sisters. Any opinion on this? We would love for it to be a scenic drive.

Monday- Long drive home ugh

Activities listed for specific days are not absolute....just an idea. Am I missing any must see things or activities that are suitable for the kids? If so, any input would be most helpful. Thanks in advance!

Celisse

Syracuse, Utah...
Level Contributor
63 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seattle/Oregon Coast trip--near final itinerary, opinions

-And just a quick clarification, about Astoria, I was thinking about stopping by and visiting on our drive to Seaside from Seattle.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,406 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seattle/Oregon Coast trip--near final itinerary, opinions

Astoria is a great town- Id recommend it as a stop. If you are into history, you may want to stop by the recreated Fort Clatsop National historical park of Lewis and Clark fame. I belive they have period costumed staff in the summer-which might be of interest to the family.

In Newport dont forget about the Hatfield Marine Science Center-if budget is an issue- its an Oregon State University facility so donations are accepted.

On the way home, I would consider traveling Hwy 20 instead of I-84. Sisters or Bend would be a good place to spend the night. Hwy 20 is a nice scenic road. I would prefer staying in Sisters over The Dalles. I think Hwy 20 might be faster...but you;d have to check.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seattle/Oregon Coast trip--near final itinerary, opinions

I agree with stopping in Astoria. Your children might enjoy the little trolley ride ... you might also, as it is kind of fun :-)

Syracuse, Utah...
Level Contributor
63 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seattle/Oregon Coast trip--near final itinerary, opinions

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate all comments and suggestions. @half-brit, I have noticed you make a lot of helpful posts on here....Do you think this is a good itinerary? Would you make any adjustments? Someone suggested that is too many days in Newport?

Level Contributor
35,482 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seattle/Oregon Coast trip--near final itinerary, opinions

Looks great! For a fun candy shop, Bruce's Candy Kitchen is in both Cannon Beach and the Seaside Outlet Mall. Yes to Astoria! We were just there for a movie at The Columbian Theater which was great fun. There is a new cupcake place that has just opened there called Marie Antoinette's in the Banker's Suite across from the Hotel Elliott which is very cool. The Maritime Museum is also a fun and educational place to visit in Astoria.

There is a film museum there and the riverfront trolley. If you have time, Fort Clatsop is also lots of fun and very interesting. www.oldoregon.com is a nice website for Astoria. We will be back there today for the Astoria Sunday Market. Enjoy your trip! :)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seattle/Oregon Coast trip--near final itinerary, opinions

Thanks, Celisse :-)

I think your schedule is about right. You have some busy days then some not-so-busy days which will give you a chance to just kick about and relax/play on the beach or wherever.

You might enjoy driving up the Yachats River to see the covered bridge - it's about 8 miles inland with all but the last mile paved road.

I thought about the Maritime Museum in Astoria but I think your two younger children are too young to get anything out of it.

7. Re: Seattle/Oregon Coast trip--near final itinerary, opinions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2013, 10:15