We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florence & Newport

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Florence & Newport

Hi Folks,

We are going to take three days between Crecent City & Ashland to drive up to Florence/Newport area 9/8-thru 9/12-12.

Which of the two would be a better base for a three night stay?

What are specific recommendations to stay & eat?

Quiet & quality bed count most; then view & atmosphere. Budget is not generally an issue but I'm not looking for the Ritz Carlton either.

For food, we like diversity. Local favorites are usually our favorites.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,887 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Florence & Newport

May I suggest the Benbow Inn? LOL, could not resist that one!

If the choice is between Florence and Newport I'd recommend Yachats :-) Look at the Overleaf Lodge and see what you think.

If you'd prefer a larger town I'd vote for Newport since most of Florence is slightly inland and you can't see the ocean. In Newport I think you might like the Greenstone Inn or Elizabeth Street Inn, or there are some very nice B&Bs as well.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,013 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Florence & Newport

half-Brit is dead on; if the choice is between the two, stay near the middle and pick Yachats!!

Florence and Newport are roughly the same size, but Newport is much more commercialized, meaning better geared towards tourism, and the town is closer to the beach. The other advantage Newport has over Florence is lodging choices.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Florence & Newport

Ah, the Benbow! Great idea, Half- Brit! LOL!

Just made reservation at Overleaf. Much thanks.

Any suggestions on best places for food in Newport, Yachats, or Florence, folks.

Edited: 28 August 2012, 19:32
Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,013 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Florence & Newport

RE: Food Places; depends on what you are looking for, but in Yachats, I like The Historic Drift Inn.

In Florence, there are several really good eateries in old-town (Bay Front), including Waterfront Depot, Bridgewater and Maple Street Grill. If you like sushi and/or Hawaiian food, Thorton's Cafe on hwy 101 has the best fare this side of Maui (the chef is from Maui)!!

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Florence & Newport

What are some good things to see/do? No long hikes; other than that up for almost anything. Any local theator groups that put on plays?

I'll read the the things to do list on TA but always nice to get local input.

Appreciate the dinning tips, dengay.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,887 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Florence & Newport

Another vote for Drift Inn but be aware they have live music most / all nights that starts early and it can be very loud. We usually get there about 5 pm as the music starts around 6:30ish. They are *always* very busy.

The Adobe has a wonderful view but they're inconsistent - have been for as long as I can remember. We prefer going upstairs and getting a couple of appetizers instead of eating dinner there. Works for lunch too ;-)

Waldport is a few miles north of Yachats and has a new place called Rumi. We haven't eaten there yet but it's getting good reviews... tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g52117-d20… There is also a very good but basic Mexican place in Waldport where you could get food to go and eat it on your oceanfront deck :-)

In Newport there are many places - Local Ocean Seafood, Saffron Salmon, Lucky Thai, you might like April's or Panache. Nana's Irish Pub is exceptionally good IMO.

South of Newport a popular eatery is the South Beach Fish Market (although the batter is quite garlicky) and we really like Fishtails Cafe at Aquarium Village which is a simple cafe atmosphere but very good.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,887 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Florence & Newport

Oh, forgot about the theatre. Check the Performing Arts Center in Newport.

There is a covered bridge inland from Yachats up the river road. Heceta Head lighthouse is still covered up and closed not sure when it's going to open after the restoration. Nice drive up Cape Perpetua - walk out to the lookout building. Devil's Churn is great at high tide.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,027 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Florence & Newport

Many of Half-Brit's suggestions are also on my list of faves: Local Ocean Seafood, Saffron Salmon, Panache, April's and South Beach Fish Market. Just had crab cakes Monday night that we bought at Local Ocean on a Coast junket Sunday. YUM!!

9. Re: Florence & Newport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 September 2012, 03:35
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,853 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Florence & Newport

This should be posted as a TA REVIEW. Since it doesn't answer any ot the OP's primary questions, it really doesn't belong here. I'm sure we all regret that you had an unpleasant experience. You probably would have preferred going out on the 20+ passenger big buggy (I know they have one at the other dunes tour operation south of Florence), which is both tamer and has more narrative, including a 10-15 minute break to allow passengers to scramble on a dune.

You're the first one I can remember comparing the experience to one in Dubai that included entertainment. Personally, I prefer Oregon.