We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are the must see's driving Cannon Beach to Newport?

Detroit
Level Contributor
561 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What are the must see's driving Cannon Beach to Newport?

We'll be driving from Cannon Beach to Newport. Are there any particularly pretty sights or parks or views that we should make sure to check out along the way? I'm already planning on the 3 capes loop but I'm looking for other ideas too. Thanks!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are the must see's driving Cannon Beach to Newport?

Nope, none at all. The whole route is just barren . . . !

Okay of course I'm just joking :-)

Hug Point, Oswald West, cute towns of Wheeler and Garibladi, take a drive out to [near] the vanished town of Bayocean, Boiler Bay, Devil's Punchbowl (take the old 1920's highway at the base of Cape Foulweather called Otter Crest Loop) , Cape Foulweather . . .

Level Contributor
34,201 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are the must see's driving Cannon Beach to Newport?

Don't miss a stop at Cape Lookout State Park in the Tillamook area. If you like touristy things, the Tillamook Cheese Factory is lots of fun. There is also a cool Air Museum in Tillamook. Have fun! :)

Oregon
Level Contributor
411 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are the must see's driving Cannon Beach to Newport?

One of my favorite places just north of Newport is the Yaquina Head Lighthouse scenic area -- pretty views; a lighthouse to scamper up; a rocky beach with tidepools, seals, maybe a whale; birds. [It's just a mile or two off 101].

Another favorite is the Otter Crest Loop -- it's just a few miles long -- but the view from Cape Foulweather is lovely. Here's a blip about it:

moon.com/destinations/…otter-crest-loop

Just due north of Cannon Beach is Ecola State Park -- beautiful.

Cape Kiwanda at Pacific City is a nice place to stretch your legs -- google images for "cape kiwanda"; it's beautiful.

4. Re: What are the must see's driving Cannon Beach to Newport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2013, 10:17