We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Follow up on Florence, Yachats, Newport questions.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Follow up on Florence, Yachats, Newport questions.

What is the locals one favorite restaurant in each of the three cities?

And is there one natural site we should not miss?

For example, in Mendocino, Patterson's Pub is where everyone hangs out; in Crescent City, it is the Chartroom.

As for sites, I'm always telling travelers not to miss Stout Grove in Crescent City.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,106 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Follow up on Florence, Yachats, Newport questions.

We live in the Willamette Valley, about 1.5 hours to Newport, so not sure if we qualify as "local" :-) We do get out there several times a year, though, and we always manage at stop at Saffron Salmon and/or Local Ocean Seafoods. Chowder Bowl at Nye Beach is also on our list if the weather is nippy and we want a hot bowl of chowder. If we stay overnight, we have dinner at Panache or drive a few minutes to Restaurant Beck at Whale Cove just south of Depoe Bay.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Follow up on Florence, Yachats, Newport questions.

Thanks.

Where would I find the best bowl of chili?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,012 posts
1,068 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Follow up on Florence, Yachats, Newport questions.

Are you looking more for "local hangouts" or restaurants with better-than-average food?

Newport and Florence are large enough that there is more than 'one' local hangout place in each town - I can tell you some for Newport if that's what you're looking for since I am a local ;-)

Chili ... It's not fancy - and also happens to be one of the local hangouts, lol - but Szabo's has awfully good chili and terrific soups of all kinds. Doesn't matter what the daily soup selection is, it is good!

Natural sight ... That would have to be Cape Perpetua / Devil's Churn , Yaquina Head , Otter Crest/ Devil's Punchbowl , Cape Foulweather ... too many! The coast through here is seriously scenic so there are many lovely places to admire.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,106 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Follow up on Florence, Yachats, Newport questions.

Hmmm - chili? I have to admit that when I'm at the Coast, I'm more of a chowder person. But based on experience at other venues, I'd bet on brewpubs or "retro" diners for a good bowl of red. In Newport, I'd check out Rogue brewpub on the south side of the bay. You could also drive a few minutes north to Lincoln City and try McMenamin's Lighthouse brewpub or the '60s Cafe, both in the shopping center across from Safeway at the major traffic light on the north side of town.

Edited: 02 September 2012, 18:11
Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Follow up on Florence, Yachats, Newport questions.

I like chowder as much as the next guy but with several days in the area chances are better than average I'll want a break from the clam stuff! LOL!

Appreciate the advise.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,408 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Follow up on Florence, Yachats, Newport questions.

http://sharksseafoodbar.com/index.html

Not your typical "hangout," but if you're looking for something that will warm your insides, especially on a cold coastal night, you can't beat the cioppino at Sharks on the Newport bayfront. Spicy enough to warrant a couple of brews to counter the heat and thick with enough seafood to satisfy the hungriest appetite. The place is cozy and the staff super friendly.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,012 posts
1,068 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Follow up on Florence, Yachats, Newport questions.

"Are you looking more for "local hangouts" or restaurants with better-than-average food?"

?

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,408 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Follow up on Florence, Yachats, Newport questions.

At my age "hanging out" takes on a different meaning.

Except for possibly some brewpubs or sports bars, I don't think most of us "hang out" anywhere. We just have our favorite places we return to more often than others, whether it's on the road when we travel or at home with spouse and family.

Fortunately, most of the towns we discuss tend to have more than one recommended restaurant or pub (just look at the discussions that we get into on where to go!). A lot depends on your mood and tastes than on "where do local Oregonians hang out."

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,012 posts
1,068 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Follow up on Florence, Yachats, Newport questions.

Just trying to figure out what the OP is looking for!

>>What is the locals one favorite restaurant in each of the three cities? ...

For example, in Mendocino, Patterson's Pub is where everyone hangs out; in Crescent City, it is the Chartroom.<<

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,051 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Follow up on Florence, Yachats, Newport questions.

Florence has a number of good quality restaurants/bars, most of which are on/near Bay Street (old-town; along the bay), but the two most popular local favorites are probably Maple Street Grill and Bridgewater. Traveler's Cove MIGHT also fit in the category.