We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2013 Vacation timing

Illinois
Level Contributor
30 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
2013 Vacation timing

We are planning a trip to the Oregon Coast in 2013. The options we have are the last week of April, the last week of August or the third week of September. What are the pros & cons of each of these weeks.

We enjoy hiking, tide pools and sitting on the shore enjoying the sound of the waves and the views.

We have been to Oregon only once about 15 years ago and only did Cannon Beach to Florence. We are planning to do Lincoln City to Crescent City this time.

Thanks so much.

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,178 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2013 Vacation timing

i think the weather would be better in aug and sept - kids are back in school in sept so the towns should be a little less crowded and the room rates might be a bit cheaper

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2013 Vacation timing

agree that April is too early if avoiding rain is a priorty. If you are going south, not as much concern with crowds and room rates, but still possibly may be a little lower in Sept.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,130 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2013 Vacation timing

Springtime frequently can be a bit wet in Oregon. Summer doesn't really start until mid-July, but September's weather is probably the most pleasant. Generally no major heat waves after Labor Day and lots of temperate, sunny days into mid- to late-October.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,221 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2013 Vacation timing

I live on the coast:

April--

pro = very green, flowers everywhere

con = rain, maybe storms

August--

pro = good weather

con = crowds, busy everywhere, high prices, traffic

September--

pro = good weather, not busy

con = pastures a bit brown by then

:-)

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,065 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2013 Vacation timing

To add to the above:

April: Average high/low temps: ~59º F/43º F; ~12" rain

Aug: Average high/low temps: ~73º F/53º F; less than .5" rain

Sept: Average high/low temps: ~67º F/49º F: less than .5" rain

One trend I noticed in 36 years in the tourist industry along the Oregon Coast is, for whatever reason, there is a lull in tourist traffic the last week of August. It will still be busy, certainly busier than April and September (after the Labor Day weekend), but occupany rates at campgrounds and motels drop by about 20% at this time.

Edited: 30 November 2012, 16:33
Illinois
Level Contributor
30 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2013 Vacation timing

Thank you for all of the replies. We usually try to get away right after tax season and have done California Rt 1 a couple of times in April, but was worried that Oregon might be colder and rain possible.

This year the week that probably will work the best is the last week in August as long as we don't run into trouble with air fares getting home Labor Day weekend.

The only time we were in Oregon, our children were still at home and we went the third week in June because of school. We were fortunate to have good weather along the coast for three days, then spent another three days at Crater Lake and the Sisters area with a last day along the Columbia Gorge at the waterfalls.

This time we would like to spend a week along the southern coast, the Redwoods and possibly the central coast again, especially the area from Depoe Bay to Florence.

Our initial itinerary is to stay at each of the following down the coast:

Pacific City

Depoe Bay

Yachats

Bandon

Brookings

Trinidad

back to Portland for flight out

We will be flying in & out of Portland

Is this doable with leaving time for hiking & relaxing along the coast each day and some hiking at Patricks Point and Stout Grove?

Thanks again for all the comments!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,221 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2013 Vacation timing

My first thought was that you don't need to stay overnight at all those places, but in thinking about it further, I see what you are doing. So yes, I think you'll have time to both see things along the way and also to explore where you are staying, since your drive will all be quite short. (Except back to Portland, of course!)

You've picked the nicest small towns along the coast, and you should still have time to stop in the large ones if desired - climb up Yaquina Head lighthouse, for example.

The southern coast tends to get fog in summer, but you can never tell ahead of time.I just read where one of the most popular trails at Patrick's Point was open again :-)

Some things to do around Crescent City (click on the blue link):

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60944-c139445/Cresce…

Illinois
Level Contributor
30 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2013 Vacation timing

Thanks so much, half-Brit.

My wife and I were just discussing our itinerary this morning again in detail. I know that there is no "answer" to this question, but I would appreciate any thoughts or opinions on this:

If we were not to make reservations, but just stop each night when we get done sightseeing, hiking, etc, would we normally be able to get a room with an ocean view? Or would it be foolish not to have reservations, even if we have to backtrack some nights?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Edited: 01 December 2012, 21:57
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,221 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2013 Vacation timing

You're welcome :-)

In August? Eeeee, no I wouldn't gamble on an ocean view room or even a non view rom at a nice oceanfront property :-( August is the busiest month of the year.

You'd have a better chance during either of your other dates, but some of the towns you picked have *very* limited oceanfront/view accommodations - specifically Pacific City, Brookings and Trinidad.

Illinois
Level Contributor
30 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2013 Vacation timing

I was afraid of that. We will need to do some more studying and decide for sure how long to take for each leg of the trip. I am thinking of starting lower on the coast to spend more time in the areas new to us.

Thanks again for your thoughts!!

Get answers to your questions about Oregon Coast