We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay in Ca on way up to Oregon???

scottsdale,az
Level Contributor
164 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay in Ca on way up to Oregon???

Hi,

My wife and I are dropping our kids off at a Napa,ca. camp in june. we typically have stayed in the area, but this year we are going to drive up the coast ending in portland. I think we want to spend a few nights at The Tu Tu' Tun lodge.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on where to stay on the way up in norther california. Looking for a fabulous luxurious place. (or if not, we could live with just a luxurious one, er, would you buy one that dosen't suck??) or something fun or unique. Prefer a king bed if possible.

just planning on staying one night. we could do the drive in one day, but why rush?

any thoughts?

thanks

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,983 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay in Ca on way up to Oregon???

check out the Benbow Inn

http://www.benbowinn.com/

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,889 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay in Ca on way up to Oregon???

Question for you, goofy_md, are you planning to drive Hwy 1? That is the spectacular highway that goes along the coast. The upscale town of Mendocino has several "fabulous luxurious" places! Note that Hwy 1 is slower than 101, though.

If you go up 101, the Benbow is one option. There is also the Scotia Inn, in Scotia that might interest you, as well as a couple of lovely B&Bs in the authentic Victorian town of Ferndale.

Eureka itself has the Hotel Carter complex of upscale lodgings. And if the thought of staying in a tiny, picturesque fishing village appeals to you, Trinidad just north of Eureka has three very very nice B&Bs.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,046 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay in Ca on way up to Oregon???

The Carter Hotel in Eureka is provbably the nicest lodging in the area. The hotel's 301 Restaurant offers world-class dining at reasonable prices (for the quality) and a Wine Spectator Grand Award wine list. Whenever traveling up 101 from California to our home in Oregon, we schedule a stop in Eureka specifically to enjoy dinner there.

scottsdale,az
Level Contributor
164 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay in Ca on way up to Oregon???

Because we are breaking up the trip, It really dosen't matter which way we go. We've done hwy 1 enough that I don't need to go that way just for the drive.

Hotel carter seems to be moving to the top, although i'm unsure whether room 304 with king bed is a better bet than 301 with big round spa (which I have at home).

Mendocino intriges me. where should I look there?

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,046 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay in Ca on way up to Oregon???

The McCallum House is very nice. Great restaurant on-site as well. As I recall, there are several very good hotels/B&B's a little further south -- Heritage House or Hill House (don't remember the exact names) would be worth looning into.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,046 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay in Ca on way up to Oregon???

I've done some additional checking for you re: Mendocino. It seems the Heritage House was sold a couple years ago and now is closed, neglected, etc. Too bad!

The other place I was thinking of is the Little River Inn, a few miles south of Mendocino. It also has a highly regarded restaurant on-site. As I recall, the property was also the location of the movie "Same Time Next Year" that starred Alan Alda many years ago.

Level Contributor
35,211 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay in Ca on way up to Oregon???

Definitely go with Tu Tu Tun! This lodge exceeded our expectations during our two night stay. Make reservatations ASAP for June, it is a small lodge and they book up fast. Happy travels! :)

Nor Cal
Level Contributor
134 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay in Ca on way up to Oregon???

There are some great B&B's in the small fishing town just north of Eureka called Trinida, California.. There are great beaches and hiking trails located all over.

Edited: 17 December 2012, 18:05
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,889 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to stay in Ca on way up to Oregon???

Eavabug, see post 2 ;-)

"And if the thought of staying in a tiny, picturesque fishing village appeals to you, Trinidad just north of Eureka has three very very nice B&Bs."

Tu Tu Tun is not on the ocean, goofy_md, but I'm sure you already know that!

Edited: 17 December 2012, 23:14
scottsdale,az
Level Contributor
164 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where to stay in Ca on way up to Oregon???

thanks,

appreciate the heads up.

I think the trip has taken an unexpected turn.we may spend more time around napa- the fly to Portland.