We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cannon beach or Seaside logding

Chicago,IL
Level Contributor
212 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Cannon beach or Seaside logding

I'm looking to spend a couple days on the Oregon Coast in May with my sisters (who are on a budget), and noticed that the Cannon Beach hotel and b&b prices rise steeply in the month of May. No way my sisters will split a $300+ room with me. Alternatively, the town of Seaside looks pretty but much more affordable, lodging-wise. Please share if you have your favorite hotel or b&b in either Cannon beach or Seaside area, or nearby. Something in the $200 range maybe, something with character, not a dinky motel. Thanks!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,929 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cannon beach or Seaside logding

I much prefer Cannon Beach over Seaside, but that is a personal choice. We have stayed at a number of places in CB, but one in particular would work well for your group. The Blue Gull Inn. It is an older motel, but has been redone. I have stayed in the two bedroom cottage, which has an additional murphy bed, and we were very pleased. It is not right on the water, but is on the west side of the main road, so about a 30 second walk down to the beach. It comes in under your price point as well. The location is good as it is close to Haystack Rock, but also a short easy walk along the sidewalk to the heart of downtown.

You will get lots of suggestions for places on here, but you might also ask if people have actually stayed where they are recommending.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,013 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cannon beach or Seaside logding

You might want to check Tolovana Inn. It's an older hotel on the south end of Cannon Beach within walking distance to Haystack Rock.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cannon beach or Seaside logding

$200 per night....something with character.... Might be a tall order in Cannon Beach. But I'll 2nd Mtngrl's recommendation of Blue Gull Inn. My wife and daughter have enjoyed a stay there. Great location. You might also be happy at either Land's End Motel or Ecola Creek Lodge. I've not stayed at either of those, but having visited Cannon Beach regularly since the late '60s, both seem to have a charm that might appeal to you. And Land's End is on the beach, to boot.

Honestly, I haven't yet seen the place in Seaside that I would say has character (or at least not the kind I think you're looking for). But if I were to consider an overnight stay there, I'd pick something at the south end of town like Lanai at the Cove, or a place north of Broadway.

A couple other places that come to mind are Inn at Arch Cape and Gearhart Ocean Inn, both under the same ownership: http://www.distinctivebeachlodgings.com/ . I've stayed at both, and wouldn't hesitate to again. Arch Cape is a residential beach community about five miles south of Cannon Beach, and Gearhart is a couple miles north of Seaside.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cannon beach or Seaside logding

Do you need to be IN a town with a lot of shops and restaurants or would it be okay to be NEAR a town?

I almost hesitate to give away my favorite little place along he coast because I want it to always be available when I want to stay there but I am feeling generous. :-) I stayed at The Chelan when I was a kid and stay there now as an adult. It is in Neskowin, a nice little community with no big hotels. More of a neighborhood with a small grocery store and one restaurant. This is half way between Lincoln City, a large town with lots of shopping, even an outlet mall, and Pacific City, a great little community with several restaurants, my faovirte being Pelican Brewery right on the beach.

The beauty of this place is that until the end of May, you can rent 2 nights and get a 3rd night free! Cost is $150 for a 2 bedroom so two of you would need to share the bunk bed room.

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
238 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cannon beach or Seaside logding

The Lands End Motel in Cannon Beach has been a favorite of mine for quite some time. Right on the beach, two blocks from all the shopping and dining in Cannon Beach. Great Managers. Should be within your price bracket.

http://www.landsendcb.com/index.html#

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,027 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cannon beach or Seaside logding

We've enjoyed stays at the Lands End motel in Cannon Beach. Prices are reasonable but we never felt like we were in a "budget" motel.

Ah, Neskowin -- one of our favorites, including the Chelan, and also check out some of the individually owned condos at the Neskowin Resort. Great beach and a "haystack rock" there as well. The only caveat, not much in the way of restaurants or shopping in Neskowin. But Lincoln City is about 15 miles to the south with plenty of both. And Pacific City about the same distance north also has a decent number of options.

Chicago,IL
Level Contributor
212 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cannon beach or Seaside logding

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions. I'm saddened that $200 will only get me a motel in the region (since when is $200 a motel price range? Weird! You can get a decent hotel in Chicago for that money!)

Level Contributor
34,991 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cannon beach or Seaside logding

Inn @ Haystack Rock in CB is in your price range on Hotwire. In Seaside, Gilbert Inn, Inn @ The Prom and Rivertide Suites are all in your budget.

www.seasideor.com. Have fun at the beach! :).

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,929 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cannon beach or Seaside logding

lady winter--You can also get a nice hotel room in downtown Portland for less than $200. The coast hotels are like any other and price their properties according to supply and demand. CB is popular for a reason (and not just with people from the Portland area). It is a very nice town with a lot to offer.

Syrah--It might help if you can share any personal details about your stays, if you have stayed at any of those.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,885 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cannon beach or Seaside logding

>> I'm saddened that $200 will only get me a motel in the region <<

Well, that's basically in Cannon Beach. With about a million people living within a couple hours' drive, they all flock to the beach at the drop of a hat, so to speak . . . so the lodging places charge what the market will bear. In this case, that's a lot.

Have you looked at Lanai at the Cove in Seaside?

If you consider the central coast, you'll find more options. However, it is of course a bit farther away from Portland.

Tourist season on the Oregon Coast runs from about April to mid/end of October and prices rise accordingly.