We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

April SF- Oregon Coast-Portland for 4 day trip?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
37 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
April SF- Oregon Coast-Portland for 4 day trip?

I have an upcoming business trip to San Francisco- I have 4 free days after the trip- Sunday to Wednesday, flying back Thursday of the week after in mid-April.

Was thinking of taking a road trip.

I thought of driving up north of San Francisco through wine country / Point Reyes, up the coast through the redwoods up the Oregon coast and going to Portland, dropping the car off and flying back from Portland. I checked on the rental car rates and it appears doable. How's April for Northern California and the Oregon coast? Is this too much to see in too little time? I am something of a photo enthusiast so landscapes, oceans and scenics are what I would be looking for. Would I be better off turning around somewhere and heading back to San Francisco?

Thanks.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Morro Bay...
Level Contributor
813 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: April SF- Oregon Coast-Portland for 4 day trip?

That time of year can go either way on the coast...beautiful and springlike or cold & rainy. It might make more sense to spend a couple nights in Pt. Reyes or leisurely explore the Sonoma coast. I, too, enjoy photography and these areas will provide you many beautiful vistas. The Oregon coast is also magnificent but perhaps would be more enjoyed as a trip of it's own.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,461 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: April SF- Oregon Coast-Portland for 4 day trip?

a four day drive up the coast is definetly doable-probalby just depends on if you want a leisurely trip or if you want to see alot. If you want a leisurely trip, I'd go with seaspirits suggestion. If you want to see alot, you can go up the coast. Weather will be difficult to predict in April- could be rainy and limited views or sunny and spring like. Another fiactor for your decision might be when you plan to be out this way again. If you choose to drive up the coast, A good chunk of your time will be driving, but you'll be able to get out and enjoy a few of the sites along the way.

Salem, Oregon
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: April SF- Oregon Coast-Portland for 4 day trip?

If it was me I would for sure drive up the oregon coast. Yes it can be slow moving at times, but the scenic roads are well worth it. If you have time to stop in depoe bay and enjoy the view. You will not be disappointed. Then to break-up your trip I recommened staying in lincoln city. Most hotels should have good rates. As oregon spring break is over by the time you are traveling. My family and I just stay at the inn at wecoma last month and we loved it. Also I would recommend making down to seaside and then going back to 26.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
37 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: April SF- Oregon Coast-Portland for 4 day trip?

Thank you

Oregon coast
Level Contributor
561 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: April SF- Oregon Coast-Portland for 4 day trip?

You can probably do it but it will be a lot of car time! Just making it up 101 for the Oregon part takes a long day.

6. Re: April SF- Oregon Coast-Portland for 4 day trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2014, 04:15
Get answers to your questions about Oregon Coast