We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Highlights

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,446 posts
225 reviews
Save Topic
Highlights

As part of our big road trip this summer I'm giving two days between Olympia WA and Ashland OR with an overnight at Newport. I know it's not much time but it will be mostly enjoying scenery from the car with maybe a couple of stops for a meal or an interesting destination. So I'm looking for the best route from Olympia to Newport in a day.

The next day will be a relatively short drive to Ashland and I'm building in time for a quick visit to Bandon. Wishing it would include a round of golf, but DW says we can do that next time. So again, looking for route suggestions and any other coastal highlights for that day.

This overall trip will be 6 weeks from Sedona to Harbor Springs MI, to Canadian Rockies, Vancouver BC and then heading home again via the coast, Lake Tahoe and Death Valley.

Thanks in advance.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Highlights

The quickest route from Olympia is to take I-5 south all the way to Corvallis, and then cut over to Newport. If you want something more scenic and more leisurely, just ask:)

The Canadian Rockies are one of my favorite places. We have been a number of times and never tire of them!

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
3,731 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Highlights

Delaying a trip to Bandon gives you more time to save money for the greens fees.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
56,446 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Highlights

Mtngrl, yes I'm looking for a more scenic route. I've got all day to do it. What would be the maximum distance I could travel along the coast in a single day? Is it worth it to take 8 west to 101 and all the way down that way? Or how about I-5 down to 4 to follow the river to the coast?

Or should I take the quick route and spend extra time at, or closer to, Newport?

Bobmrg, I know what you mean about those fees. So in your opinion, is it worth it?

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Highlights

I would take I-5 to Salem, then 22/18 to coast, Depoe Bay to Newport is very nice right along ocean for much of it

Golf course in Toledo is fun little course, better than Agate Beach in Newport.

We are regulars to Depoe Bay. I grew up in Toledo, pretty familiar with Oregon Coast.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Highlights

Phirls idea is good, cutting over at Salem. That way it still saves quite a bit of time, but also gives you more scenic views. A good balance, IMO.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
56,446 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Highlights

Thank you both

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Highlights

Redrox. Ok need to say more from here.

Oregon coast?. Plan to stop at Depoe Bay for Whale watch center, and Spouting Horn. Devils Punch Bowl at Otter Rock a good stop

Marine Science Center in Newport very good stop, good help there. Aquarium also good but ithink Sciend Center best if you are hurrying. Check bayfront in Newport to see the sea lions and an interesting fishing port.

2 or 3 nice stops from Yachats to Florence along rugged coast. head inland at Reedsport probably won't have time for Crater Lake.but till good way to get to I-5 for southbound

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Highlights

Just to add to your confusion.....

I wouldn't say 8 west to 101 is worth it, but I-5 to Longview, cross the bridge over the Columbia to 30 and 101 at Astoria might be. I think Google Maps is close in estimating the drive time between Olympia and Newport over that route at 5 hours. Astoria has some interesting sights, and there are several state parks from Seaside south to Tillamook that are worthwhile stops. Maybe have lunch in Cannon Beach or Manzanita. You didn't say exactly when you're doing this, but if it's within a month of June 21, you'll have daylight until at least 9:00pm.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
56,446 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Highlights

July 31 and Aug1.

You guys are great! You're giving me lots to consider, and it's just what I was looking for.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Highlights

Hi RedRox, how've you been? Sounds like a whirlwind tour!

We think I-5 in Washington is quite dull. By contrast, Hwy 8 and 101 are pleasant yet still fairly fast moving. Last time I was on that route was last June, and I was surprised at the low amount of traffic.

From Astoria to Newport it's about 3½ hours or maybe a bit longer in high summer, without stops. Whilst there are some boring bits to it, much of that prtion of Oregon 101 is scenic. The cliffs south of Cannon Beach, and the long sweep around Tillamook Bay are highlights.

I'd take the longer route any day over straight busy freeways and plowing through Portland ;-)

From Bandon, the shorter route is Hwy 42 (pleasant enough), then south on I-5, which through there has nice scenery. The longer route - south on 101 then back northeast on 199 - has truly gorgeous scenery along the coast, a few miles of redwoods, winds along the river, then heads through hills, farms, forests and open countryside.

The drawback is that it takes more time, of course . . . probably an hour and a half or thereabouts.