We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North to south or reverse?

Toronto, Canada
5 posts
Save Topic
North to south or reverse?

Does it make any difference if you drive north from San Francisco to Portland or do North to South? We are planning a week driving between these 2 places in late June and can fly into/ out of either place.

Thanks for all the help offered here. The forums are a wealth of information and I really appreciate the time you all take to share.

Chester County's...
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North to south or reverse?

If you drive in the southbound lane, you will be on the coast side of the road -- easier to take advantage of scenic turnouts. You'll have better views as you drive, too, especially if you happen to be on the road when there are a lot of RVs going in the other direction.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North to south or reverse?

I have constructed itineraries for both ways. The main problem that I see is that the rental car companies add $200 or $300 or more to normal fees for a one-way car rental. If you come across any "deals"' please let me know immediately.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North to south or reverse?

Hi minto8 and welcome to the forums.

Going southbound, the passenger gets the great views and can even snap pics out the window as you go along ;-)

4. Re: North to south or reverse?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2014, 06:17