We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Astoria to SF

Billings, Montana
1 post
Save Topic
Astoria to SF

Hi everyone,

The wife and I have become able to get away for a couple weeks at the end of the summer. We have decided to do the Oregon and northern Cali coast down to San Francisco as part of this trip. I have been browsing websites and forums and have some ideas on what to do, but still had a bit I thought you all might be able to help with. My main area I am looking for information is on how long to spend between Astoria and SF. below is a bit of info on us and our preferences

Not really worried about lodging currently, have a general idea what is available and will decide when a time frame is more known.

just 2 travelers my wife and I, early 40's. We have up to 8 days possible to see the stretch from Astoria to SF, but don't want to dillydally just for the sake of it

General likes:

natural scenery, wildlife, historical sights, auto touring,

Don't drink wine, I have a somewhat problem leg so long or extreme hikes are a no-go (1-1.5mile roundtrip max), shopping is secondary (generally spend 1-2 hours max in towns when traveling shopping would be done in this time period.), not the type to lounge on the beach, seeing them as sights is fine, but wont need to spend a lot of time just hanging out.

I have only looked into OR possible sights so far, an idea of places we have already chosen as probable or possible:

FT Columbia St. Park

Cape Disappointment St. Park

Astoria

FT Stevens

FT Clatsop

Ecola ST. Park

Tillamook (cheese factory at least, haven't looked at whole area)

Cannon Beach

Cape Meares

Cape Lookout ST park

The aquarium

Sea lion Caves

Redwoods

This is just some of what I have found that looks like what we would enjoy. The main thing I am wondering about is with this type of activities how long should we spend for the 700 plus miles to see the things we enjoy. Sorry if this is too long for anyone, Any help or advice that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated, and I thank any repliers in advance for your time and effort. suggestions on types of sights/activities that may fit our desires would also be joyfully welcomed.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Astoria to SF

If ypu order quickly, you can get the book "Day Hikes Oregon Coast" by Bonnie Henderson in just a few days. It has over 100 hikes along the Oregon Coast, including dozens of short easy-to-medium hikes. The book may give you lots more ideas. i don't know how hard it would be to get motel rooms during the time you are travelling. It would be fun just to explore each day and see how far you get and where you end up. I think you could easily fill 8 days with interesting sights. We are planning on 6 days from SF to Seaside, and could easily spend another day or two.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Astoria to SF

Some other ideas (from the book cited above):

From north to south:

Hug Point (short hike)

Devil's Punchbowl (short hike)

Yaquina Head Lighthouse

Cape Perpetua Scenic Area

Heceta Head Lighthouse

Tahkenitch Creek Trail (sand dunes)

Shore Acres State Park

Cape Arago State Park

Coquille Point

Samuel H Boardman State Park

Most of these feature short hikes. There are lots of other activities and scenic spots that others will also mention, I'm sure.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Astoria to SF

Northern California, for starters:

Interesting lagoon hikes around Trinidad.

Stout Grove

Howland Hill Road

Fern Canyon

Ladybird Johnson Grove

Newton Drury Scenic Byway

In Humboldt State Park:

-Founder's Grove

-Rockefeller Loop Hike

-Big Tree Area

- Avenue of the Giants

Further south:

-Howard Creek Ranch

-Mendocino Botanical Garden in Fort Bragg

-The town of Mendocino

-Highway 1 to SF (very slow, windy, and SCENIC)

Have fun!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Astoria to SF

Generally 3 days is minimum amount of time to enjoy the sites along the oregon coast without feeling too rushed. Allow one day for the redwoods and then two days between Redwoods and SF. with possibly upto 8 days you could add a day or two in the vicinity you are interested in exploring more.

You may enjoy a jet boat ride up the Rogue River in Gold Beach- a great way to see alot of scenery and cover alot of ground without alot of physical effort.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Astoria to SF

Check this website - www.VisittheOregoncoast.com

It's a great resource for deciding what to see, where to stay and eat, and what to do along the entire Oregon Coast.

I have been up and down the Oregon Coast many times, but last spring when we were in Newport, I picked up a copy of their Mile by Mile Oregon Coast Guide and discovered a waterfall I never knew existed.

Munson Creek Falls is the highest waterfall on the coast at 319 ft. It was a little tricky to find, but interesting and easy to get to once we figured out where to turn off the highway.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Astoria to SF

Kitters, is the trail open to the actual falls now? We were there, oh probably two years ago and had to scramble over big logs. Not worth it in the winter wet & mud! I figured it was on the "list" to be fixed, but probably well down near the bottom, LOL.

Hi Richard F and welcome to TripAdvisor. You've got a good start on things to do and see. If you enter town names in the search box at the top right of any page, you can find a list of attractions. Regarding the redwoods, there is a lot to see here!

Look under the town names of Crescent City, Klamath, Orick, Trinidad, as well as Redwood National Park.

I would advise *against* Fern Canyon. It's a rough road out to the beach, and frankly in my recent experience, simply isn't worth it unless you plan to hike the canyon itself, which you may not be up to. There are sooooo many other beautiful places to see that are far easier to get to :-)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Astoria to SF

Newly re-designed Oregon Coast Mile by Mile Guide online:

oregoncoastmagazine.com/mile_by_mile_oregon_…

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Astoria to SF

half-Brit - We hiked up to Munson Falls in mid-March. There were still logs and trash over the trail so you could not get up to the foot of the falls, but we got close enough for a good view. Plenty of water going over the falls that time of year.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Astoria to SF

Thanks!

Level Contributor
34,191 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Astoria to SF

Add Oswald West State Park to your list . Looks like a fun time! :).