We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
507 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
2 Weeks in Oregon -- How does this itinerary look? Help!

I am planning a trip Sep 25 - Oct 9 and was wondering if this looks like a good itinerary. I do not mind driving, but I prefer to stay in each location at least 2 or 3 nights so I can fully explore each area at a relaxing pace. My main interests are scenic drives, staying in scenic locations, short hikes, and photography. Any suggestions to altering or adding to this tentative plan would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Day 1: Arrive PDX 7PM (Overnight near airport?)*

Day 2: Columbia River Scenic Byway (Overnight Hood River or Portland?)*

Day 3: Mt. Hood Scenic Byway (Ovenight Troutdale?)*

*QUESTION: Should I spend the first 3 nights in the Portland area and do the above as day trips? Or would it be better to overnight at the different places I proposed?

Day 4: Travel to North Coast. 2 nights Cannon Beach or Seaside?

Day 5: Explore North Coast.

Day 6: Travel to Central Coast. 2 nights Newport or Yachats?

Day 7: Explore Central Coast.

Day 8: Travel to South Coast. Spend 4 nights Gold Beach.

Days 9, 10, 11: Explore South Coast, Rogue River Jet Boat Tour, explore coast and lighthouses.

Day 12: Travel to Crater Lake National Park. Spend 2 nights at lodge on rim.

Day 13: Explore Crater Lake N.P.

Day 14: Head back towards Portland. Need suggestions for scenic place to overnight.

Day 15: Depart PDX. Afternoon flight back to East Coast.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,055 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Weeks in Oregon -- How does this itinerary look? Help!

Day 4: No question, Cannon Beach over Seaside!!! That is unless you enjoy an over commercialized atmosphere!

Day 5: If you are not traveling with teenagers, then I would suggest Yachats over Newport. It's MUCH more scenic and laid back (ie: small town) and makes a good base for exploring both north (Newport is ~20 minutes) and south (Florence is ~40 minutes).

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
507 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Weeks in Oregon -- How does this itinerary look? Help!

Thanks for the speedy response, dengay! I really appreciate it.

No, there we be no kids with me. Just us 2 adults. Any suggestions for places to stay with nice ocean views and good seafood is what I need.

How do my time allotments in each place look? Am I making the right decision to spend the most amount of time along the South Coast in the Gold Beach area?

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,055 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Weeks in Oregon -- How does this itinerary look? Help!

I'll leave Cannon Beach lodging suggestions to others as I have a house near there so there is no need for me to check them out, but I can give some suggestion for Yachats. It would help, however, if we knew your lodging budget.

The only question I had was why 4 nights in Gold Beach and only two along the north and central coast? The south coast is beautiful for sure, and MUCH less crowded than Newport north, but the other areas have just as much to see and do.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
507 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Weeks in Oregon -- How does this itinerary look? Help!

My lodging budget would ideally be around $200 per night, but I would be willing to go higher if necessary (up to $300). In my onlines searches so far, it apperas that rates drop significantly after Labor Day along the coast.

I found a good deal in Gold Beach for a 1BR oceanfront condo for just $138 per night. And I figured that halfway through my journey it would be nice to stay in one place for a while to just relax.

But I am open to suggestions and very flexible at this point. Like I mentioned earlier, the less I have to change lodgings, the better. Is there a convenient place to make a base for maybe 4 nights to explore both the north coast and the central coast? Or is it better to relocate as originally planned?

Any and all suggestions are very much appreciated!

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,055 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 Weeks in Oregon -- How does this itinerary look? Help!

Well, now I see why you chose to stay in Gold Beach for 4 nights!! Given the lodging you've found, I wouldn't change it!

For Yachats, here are the three lodging choices I would recommend:

http://www.overleaflodge.com/

firesidemotel.com/Fireside_Motel/…

http://www.adoberesort.com/

All three are a stones throw from each other (the Overleaf and Fireside are sister properties and set side by side). They set on a rocky bluff just feet from the ocean! Really one of the more idyllic locations along he entire cost IMO. You will notice the Overleaf cost more per night and there is a reason. Whether it's worth it or not is a personal choice.

There are a couple pretty good restaurants in Yachats that I have experience with. The Drift Inn and Ona are both quite good. Good enough that DW and I make the ~40 minute one-way drive 1-2 times a month for dinner!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,116 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 Weeks in Oregon -- How does this itinerary look? Help!

I also took note at four nights in Gold Beach and wondered why ;-) It's not a bad town, but it's not what I would think most folks are looking for. Other than the jet boats or fishing the Rogue, there is not a lot to do or see there. For many years it was sort of down-at-the-heels but the last few years it's perked up.

What's the name of the place you're interested in?

If you want to see the redwoods, Gold Beach is *close enough* as it's about 2-ish hours to the main part of Redwood NP. The jet boats run through Sept 30th?

First three nights, if you don't mind a bit of extra driving, I'd suggest staying somewhere on the east side in one spot.

Cannon Beach!

If you like lighthouses, there is a unique one in Crescent City called Battery Point. It is only accessible at low tide over a causeway. More info about that and other things in Crescent City... tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60944-c139445/Cresce…

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,150 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 Weeks in Oregon -- How does this itinerary look? Help!

You could stay the first 3 nights in Portland and do the gorge/Mt Hood as day trips. However, since you want scenic, etc I would opt to stay in the Hood River area for all 3 nights. That is a pretty central spot for seeing Mt Hood as well as the gorge. Also, there is no reason to stay near the airport that first night. With your arrival being early evening, you could easily get to Hood River that night. Or, you could stay at the Edgefield in Troutdale that first night. It is only a few minutes from PDX and a really cool, fun place to stay. There is nothing wrong with the airport hotels, but they are very generic and it is a boring area.

We much prefer Cannon Beach over Seaside. We go there often, as a family, as a couple and I do trips with girlfriends there. The town and area around it has so much to offer. Places that are within your budget and that we have personally stayed at and that I would recommend include Surfsand Resort (my fav place in town), Schooners Cove, Blue Gull Inn, and Cannon Beach Hotel. BGI is an old motel that has been redone and the rooms we have had have been quite nice. It does not have views as it sits about a block from the water, but it takes like 30 seconds to walk to the beach. CBH has a few rooms with views, but not all. It is right next door to the Surfsand (almost all are ocean front or ocean view).

The reason my personal favorite is the Surfsand is for several reasons. The hotel itself is very nice and the staff are super helpful. The location is close to Haystack Rock, but also a short walk to the heart of downtown. It just fits everything that we want when we are on vacation there.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 Weeks in Oregon -- How does this itinerary look? Help!

Edgefield in Troutdale could be good place to stay for 3 days and do day trips, gorge Mt Hood maybe Mt St Helens. Really interesting place.

I prefer Newport because more to do there and better beach, but in your case Yachats may fit since you plan to move on to Gold Beach and Florence and Dunes are well worth a day trip. And for sure you sound like Cannon Beach and you will get good beach there. Will say we have preferred Seaside, but because of kids and grandkids, and cost. Actually we have spent more nights on north coast at Manzanita and Astoria. This winter spent our first nights at Cannon Beach, and can see why it is liked

Suggest Bend for night on way back to Portland

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
507 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 Weeks in Oregon -- How does this itinerary look? Help!

Wow! Thanks for all of the fantastic recommendations so far. A few more questions:

When is the fall foliage typically near peak along the Columbia River Scenic Drive, the Mt. Hood Area, and Crater Lake? I realize each place may have a different time to peak, but will I have at least some color in each place between Sep 25 and Oct 9? Is there a particularly scenic fall foliage drive which I should consider?

Are there any good B&B accommodations along the coast? Last year I did the Northern California coast (from SF to Redwoods National Park as far north as Klamath). I stayed at a fantastic B&B called the Turtle Rocks Inn located in Trinidad. It was perfect for peace, serenity, and relaxation. http://www.turtlerocksinn.com/

Does anyone know of a similar place along the Oregon coast?

I am really into photography, so any suggestions for the best places to see lighthouses, sea stacks, and unique bridges are welcomed.

You guys rock! Keep the great suggestions coming my way, please!

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,055 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 Weeks in Oregon -- How does this itinerary look? Help!

One of the, if not THE most unique B&B's along the coast is this one:

http://hecetalighthouse.com/

The added bonus here is Heceta Head Lighthouse, which just had a $1.6 million renovation, is right on site and considered to be the most photographed lighthouse along the west coast! This is located between Yachats and Florence, so it's right in the area you were looking to stay in! Can't say how it compares to Turtle Rocks, but it is pretty spectacular in all areas from food to views to the accommodations!

Spending 4 days at Gold Beach will afford you PLENTY of opportunities to view and photograph seas stacks. They are most prominent from Port Orford, south, so you are right there. As you venture south, make sure and stop here to see Arch Rock and Natural Bridges:

www.oregonstateparks.org/index.cfm…

You will find COUNTLESS other outstanding views and you venture south along the coast!!!

Edited: 13 July 2013, 00:16