We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco to Seattle

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
San Francisco to Seattle

We are on the east coast but will be traveling from SF to Seattle on a baseball stadium trip. I hope to drive it in 2 or 2.5 days. We plan to stop in Crescent City, CA the first night, and then I am not sure. The kids (8 & 10 years) want to see Mount St. Helens. I was thinking that we could stop the second night in or around Portland, and make the final leg on day 3 and get into Seattle by mid-afternoon. Any thoughts? Recommendations for revisions or other places to stop on the second night? If Portland is a reasonable stopping point, where are the best places to look for rooms?

Thanks very much.

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
3,827 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco to Seattle

Living in the Seattle area with kids in the Bay area, we make this trip frequently. I usually recommend driving 101 up the coast, but in your case I am going to suggest the freeway so that you can visit the volcano and still make your schedule. Boring? Yes. Just outside of Dunsmuir, CA you will see the Castle Crags, which are beautiful. For hotel advice I would go to www.hotels.com and see what is available.

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco to Seattle

Thanks Bobmgr. We plan to take the 101 from SF to Crescent City, hoping to see some trees, and then cut over to the interstate to make some time.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
23 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco to Seattle

If you stay in Portland, you'll find that the drive between there and Seattle takes anywhere between 2.5 hours and 4.5 hours, depending on traffic. As they say, "In Seattle, there's always a traffic jam somewhere, at all times." Longview is a good place to stop and get gas and snacks (especially if you have wiggly kids in the car) as there's not a lot between Longview and Olympia on I5.

You could also consider setting aside some time to take the kids to Great Wolf Lodge waterpark on your way up North.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,885 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Francisco to Seattle

The SF to Crescent City segment will be a fairly long day, about 7-8 hours. It's a pleasant drive for the most part. If you stay on 101 the whole way, you will see some big redwoods, as Hwy 101 goes right through several groves.

You will see them first around Richardson Grove, 15-ish miles north of Leggett. If the "one log house" is open, your kids might enjoy that... tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32419-d64…

You won't have time for much sightseeing, but depending upon your timing, think about taking Newton Drury Scenic Parkway. The turnoff to it is about 6 miles north of Orick. This is a quiet, paved drive (old 101) through some huge redwoods. It will add about 20 minutes to your time - the alternative is staying on 101 and you'll go up over an inland ridge on a modern fast freeway, but with rather plain scenery.

Crescent City to Portland is about 6 hours drive.

Since your main goal in the Portland area is Mt St Helens, I'd sugest staying on the north side of Portland, maybe Vancouver or even father north. Mt St Helens takes much of a day if you go all the way to Johnston Ridge, which you should :-)

5. Re: San Francisco to Seattle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2014, 05:18