We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oregon Coast Itinerary

BC Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Oregon Coast Itinerary

Okay I'm looking for some help and suggestions. We are planning a first time trip down the Oregon coast in early August. My husband myself and two kids ages 16 and 14. We are starting our trip in Lacey Washington and have 8 days. Here is our itinerary so far.....

Day 1 and 2 in Seaside

Day 3 in Newport

Day 4 and 5 in Florence

Day 6 Columbia River Gorge

Day 7 Sandpoint Idaho

Day 8 home to Canada

We have no idea if these are good places to stay?? We are looking for hiking, beaches, outdoor activities and decent local restaurants. Middle of the road budget..not super cheap but not high end.

Our plans are not set in stone except for our starting destination, so any suggestions or ideas would be great.

Thanks!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,768 posts
1,036 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oregon Coast Itinerary

Seaside is a family-oriented place but know that it will be *extremely* busy and congested in August. There is the fun zone, shops, promenade, etc. Nearby Cannon Beach is more upscale (also *very* busy) with lots of 'shoppes' and horseback riding on the beach. Another alternative is Manzanita, which has kind of a "village" feel as it's slightly off the beaten track, but still near.

There are numerous state parks which offer actual hiking, easy walking and/or nice beaches. Hug Point is a little bit of Oregon history :-)

Newport has a lot to do - two lighthouses, bay tours, the beach etc. I'd give it two nights.

Florence is inland, with the exception of one motel north of town. Were you thinking of the dune buggy rides?

BC Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oregon Coast Itinerary

Yes we thinking of dune buggys as well as possibly surfing. Thanks for the great info....think we will add a night in Newport.

Level Contributor
34,451 posts
889 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oregon Coast Itinerary

Book soon for Seaside! It's very busy here now and will continue to be until Labor Day. The Best Western Oceanview Resort is a place to check out, right on the prom. We also like Tides By The Sea which has an outdoor pool and Oceanview condo units. :).

4. Re: Oregon Coast Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 July 2013, 04:05
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oregon Coast Itinerary

Sandpoint?? seems sort of off your basic trip plan.

I suggest you not leave Flroence, try to do Gorge and then to Sandpoint next day, then where is home. you said start in Lacey. long way from BC

BC Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oregon Coast Itinerary

Ha! Yes home is actually in Creston BC just and hour north of Sandpoint. We have to make the trek to Lacey as my son is in a golf competition on the 11th. Is Florence worth a visit or are the better areas to go??

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oregon Coast Itinerary

I think Florence is a good south point for coast. You get to see the coast line from Yachats to Florence. think i would spend 2 nights in newport 1 in florence, but depends on what you like.

But I think Gorge deserves more time than stop point on way from Florence to Sandpoint. Very easy to spend full day in Gorge. Florence to Troutdale, beginning of Gorge is close to a half day. You need to drive Hist Col R Hwy and see the many waterfalls, maybe a short hike or two, and stop at Bonneville Dam.

I would consider a little extra time on coast spend night in Portland and a full day in Gorge, night in Hood River, then home to Creston

Why a night in Sandpoint an hour from home??

BC Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oregon Coast Itinerary

Those are all great suggestions I will check them out:) We have a vacation home in sandpoint so we figured we would stay there.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oregon Coast Itinerary

Just jumping in to say thanks to syrahgirl for mentioning Tides by the Sea. I'd procrastinated in reserving lodging for a family tournament, and you saved my bacon! (I'd have sent you a PM, but you're apparently "not accepting" them?)

10. Re: Oregon Coast Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 July 2013, 22:35