We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florence to San Francisco

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
15 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Florence to San Francisco

I'm planning a trip with my boyfriend from Portland to San Francisco and am looking for advice on the best towns to stay in and can't miss activities. I've put together a very rough itinerary for the trip trying to space out the driving each day. My destinations are primarily based on cities I see on the map it would be great to know if these are good places to stay or if there are nearby towns that would be better. We'd like to keep most of our lodging under $150 but plan to have one splurge night of up to $250.

In terms of what we would like to do on the trip...we definitely want to see and enjoy beautiful scenery, we like hiking but won't have time for all day hikes, and we like moderately priced local restaurants. Here's what we have planned so far:

Saturday - Arrive in Portland in the morning. Drive to Eugene then head out to Florence and stay somewhere in the area.

Sunday - Drive the Oregon coast and stay in the Brookings, OR area.

Monday - Continue along the coast and stay in the Eureka, OR area.

Tuesday - Visit the Avenue of the Giants and stay in the Fort Bragg, CA area.

Wednesday/Thursday - Continue down coast and cut to in Santa Rosa and stay in the Hilton using points. May stop at Korbel on the way to Santa Rosa and have tickets to the Wed night sunset event at Pleasant Ridge winery. Plan to visit wineries on Thursday.

Friday - The day is open to go back to the coast, taste more wine, etc. We will stay in San Francisco using points for our Sat morning flight. We visited San Francisco last year so don't feel a need to spend much time there this time.

To give you more of a feel for what we are looking for, last year we did a trip in and out of Seattle that involved Olympic national park, the WA coast, the OR coast up to Florence, and Portland. My favorite experiences on that trip were the scenery in Olympic national park, Ruby and Canon Beach, a random stop at Pelican Pub & Brewery, spending the night at the Overleaf in Yachats, visiting wineries in the Dundee area and spending a day hiking to see waterfalls in the Columbia river gorge.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Florence to San Francisco

My only recommendation would be to drive I-5 to Corvallis and take hwy 20 into Newport, and either spend the night there or ~20 minutes south in Yachats. You'll have more lodging options close to or near the ocean and the stretch of hwy 101 from Yachats to Florence should NOT be missed!

Newport to Florence takes only about 1 hr, so you wouldn't be adding or subtracting as drastic amount of driving either day.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Florence to San Francisco

Good you posted what you did last year. I was going to suggest you head to coast sooner than Florence.

Consider going to Charleston from Coos Bay, then on to Sunset Bay, there is a nice garden out there. You can continue south from Charleston on 7 Devils Road , don't let the name scare you. Stop in Bandon a few mintes. Be sure to check the website for Boardman SP, It can give you idea of best stops, there are many stops but some are better.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,780 posts
1,036 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Florence to San Francisco

If you like B&Bs, your "splurge" night might be in Trinidad, north of Eureka. This is a lovely teeny picturesque village with three upsclale ocean view B&Bs. I recommend Trinidad over Eureka even in a plain motel - also consider McKinleyville or Arcata off Giuntoli Lane (not downtown). Another thought might be the classic Victorian village of Ferndale.

Ave/Giants is what everybody hears about. Know that it's not a "wilderness" -- there are houses, ranches, businesses and even small towns along the drive. If you prefer a more "pristine forest" experience, take Newton Drury scenic route instead (or in addition to). South of the Klamath bridges, the highway becomes freeway. In about 3 miles or so, you'll see an exit to Newton Drury. Be sure to take it as it's the only one. It will bring you back out to present-day 101 at Prairie Meadow.

The cheese factory is open again in Bandon (Face Rock Creamery) and there also is a small family owned one in Loleta, Calif south of Eureka.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
15 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Florence to San Francisco

Phirl - Thanks for the route recommendation. It's helpful to know that the detour off of 101 is worthwhile. I'll check out the Boardman website too.

half-Brit - Thanks for the recommendations on where to stay outside of Eureka. I'll do some looking and see what I can find. I know there wasn't anything in Eureka that I was all that excited about so the other towns sound like a good alternative. I have added the Newton Drury scenic route to our itinerary. I have a slight obsession with cheese so thanks for that great recommendation!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,780 posts
1,036 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Florence to San Francisco

LOL, I guessed right :-)

You're welcome!

6. Re: Florence to San Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2014, 05:19