We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oregon Coast Drive

Gulf Breeze, Florida
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Oregon Coast Drive

We will be driving the Oregon coast the last week of our trip. We will be begin in Brookings on a Sunday morning and travel north. After reading about the Columbia River Gorge, we decided to incorporate it into our trip before leaving the area. We will fly out of Sacramento the following Friday. That gives us five travel days. Does anyone have any suggestions on whether or not we should continue on up the coast hwy. to Astoria before heading over toward Portland or should be end our coastal drive in Lincoln City? Our trip is the first week of Sept.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oregon Coast Drive

The long, slow, scenic drive up from Brookings to Lincoln City should give you enough of a taste of the Oregon Coast. The area from LC to Cannon Beach is also nice, but you will have seen a good deal on the southern end, so I don't think you need to go all the way to Astoria unless it is for visiting historic sites. The Gorge is also lovely and should not be missed. How are you going back to Sacramento from OR?

Gulf Breeze, Florida
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Oregon Coast Drive

You answered my question perfectly ... thanks. Once we drive the Columbia River Gorge, we were planning on maybe driving down past Mt. Hood and picking up the I-5 and heading on down to Roseburg. From there we though we would drive over and see Crater Lake before heading on down the I-5 again to Sacramento. Would I need to get on the forum for the Columbia River Gorge for information on whether to go drive the Columbia Scenic parkway from west to east or via versa?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,780 posts
1,036 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oregon Coast Drive

I agree with scappoose. If you start another thread in Oregon with Columbia Gorge in the title, that will be fine and MrsO will see it, as well as everybody else ;-)

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oregon Coast Drive

Yes, just put Columbia River Gorge in your subject line, and Mrs. O will be on it right away. She lives in the gorge and loves to advise on it. You'll enjoy the trip from the gorge over highway 35 to Mt. Hood. The drive back to I-5 from Mt. Hood to Portland on 26 gets busy and populated after a while. It is a drive that I am not fond of. If time permits, you could drive east on 26 and head to Bend and then down to Crater Lake that way, picking up I-5 to Sacramento after Crater Lake. It will takes some time, but you will see some beautiful high desert country and the backs of all the snow capped mountains. Have a good trip.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oregon Coast Drive

I too suggest you look at taking 35, 26 and 97 south from Hood River. 60-70 miles shorter to north entrance Crater Lake. than going back to I-5 from Hood River. Crater Lake close to 97. 97 can be slow. It is 2 lane with a few passing sections.

Gulf Breeze, Florida
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Oregon Coast Drive

Thanks for your great suggestion! I don't know why I didn't even think about another route down there. And that is exactly why I love Tripadvisor!

7. Re: Oregon Coast Drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2014, 06:21