We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tentative itinerary for 2 week trip August 2014 -thoughts?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
tentative itinerary for 2 week trip August 2014 -thoughts?

I am currently trying to put together an itinerary for a trip from Alberta to Oregon Coast for next August - I know I'm early but see that state park ressies open up in November. There will be 3 travellers (dw, dh and 18 yo son) and we are campers (5th wheel trailer). We prefer nature over urban and hike, bike, swim, beachcomb, visit the sites. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts on our tentative itinierary...

1st night - Monck provincial park, BC

2nd night - Seattle KOA

3rd & 4th nights - Fort Stevens State Park

5th, 6th & 7th nights - Jessie M. Honeyman State Park

8th & 9th nights - Humbug Mountain State Park

10th & 11th nights - Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park in Redwoods NP

12th - Deschutes State Park - Columbia River Gorge

13th & 14th - Greenwood BC (visiting relatives)

15th - home

I would love to hear your thoughts on timing, spacing, must do activities, etc.,

Level Contributor
34,497 posts
890 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tentative itinerary for 2 week trip August 2014 -thoughts?

We have been spending alot of time at Fort Stevens State Park lately fishing. This is a beautiful park with miles of trails for riding, Coffenbury Lake and The Wreck of the Peter Iredale. Make your reservations soon, this is a very popular place in the summer. Enjoy your travels! :)

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tentative itinerary for 2 week trip August 2014 -thoughts?

If you like hiking, be sure to get a copy of "Day Hikes Oregon Coast" by Bonnie Henderson. It outlines over 100 hikes of various lengths, terrains, and difficulty to help you plan your daytime activities.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tentative itinerary for 2 week trip August 2014 -thoughts?

Or, if you want to save some money, get a used copy of "120 Hikes on the Oregon Coast". It is essentially an older version of the same book. I like it better because it is bigger and therefore the maps are easier to read. You may need to update the individual hikes via Internet research, but the basics remain very valuable. See a recent 2013 review on Amazon.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tentative itinerary for 2 week trip August 2014 -thoughts?

I worked for Oregon State Parks for 36 years and Fort Stevens, Jessie M Honeyman and Humbug Mt are the three that I would have picked for you!

Be aware that Fort Stevens is the largest public campground west of the Mississippi. It's HUGE, while Honeyman is the second largest in Oregon (still pretty big). Humbug is small and it is right on hwy 101, tucked behind the mountain.

All three are BEAUTIFUL campgrounds.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,795 posts
1,037 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tentative itinerary for 2 week trip August 2014 -thoughts?

None of the campgrounds are located on the beach so you have to walk or bike quite a long way at some of them to get to the ocean. Just so you know!

Crescent City to the Columbia River out near Biggs Junction will be a very long day - you're looking at 7-8 hours of just driving. We've been RVing for many years and also tow a 5th wheel.

Edited: 23 August 2013, 07:13
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: tentative itinerary for 2 week trip August 2014 -thoughts?

Thnaks everyone for the great feedback.

half-Brit - I have struggled with trying to figure out the drive from Crescent City to Greenwood BC - it is about 785 miles all together. I would have preferred to have broken it down into 3 days instead of 2 but that would mean less time along the Coast. Deschutes is about half wayish between the two. Should we forget about the gorge this trip and take a different route that might be a bit faster? any thoughts?

Thanks!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tentative itinerary for 2 week trip August 2014 -thoughts?

Think I would drop Humbug Mtn to gain some time in Gorge, and also getting there.

8. Re: tentative itinerary for 2 week trip August 2014 -thoughts?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2014, 06:21