We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Oregon Coast

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
96 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Oregon Coast

Hi from Australia

My wife and I are arriving in Seattle after Alaska cruise finishing on 18 May. We are looking at taking Amtrak from Seattle to Portland before renting a car for 3 days.

We are looking at staying near Lincoln City possibly VRBO- http://www.vrbo.com/330046#calendar

Seeking input from the more experienced TAs about the suggested accommodation or other alternatives.

We aim to stay from Tuesday-20 May to Friday-23 May, (I know this leads into Memorial Day) and it will get very busy that weekend.

We have never been to this area and hope to explore coast and wine areas over 3 days. I have read some of the previous recommendations on TA so have an idea of the area but we just want to see the coast from Neskowin to Florence, doing day trips.

Open to ideas on best location for a base as we both really enjoy Ocean views and driving to view all the experiences on offer.

We are both 55 plus but still very active. Some short hikes are desirable and looking around small towns and large towns would also be enjoyable.

We will drive back to Portland on Friday 23 May and then fly to San Francisco.

Hope you can offer some guidance

Darcy and Heather

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,233 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Oregon Coast

Hello, that condo is in the old Sea Gypsy motel. It is located right on the beach. However, as an overall place to stay, Lincoln City is not the most scenic town along the coast. It has terrible traffic and the Sea Gypsy is not located in an area where you'll want to walk much. It's perfectly safe, but right on the highway.

I might suggest looking in Newport. It has a bay, two lighthouses, marine science center, aquarium, authentic working/touristy bayfront and is generall more scenic. It too will have heavy traffic, but if you could find a place near Nye Beach, for example, it has its own little "neighbourhood" with shops and restaurants -as well as a nice beach, of course!

On the coast, day trips do mean driving back and forth. There are many day-use state parks where you can go for a stroll along the beach, as well as various walking and hiking areas.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
96 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Oregon Coast

Thank you HalfBrit for you suggestions. I have read other comments you have made on this forum and found them very informative. Thanks again.

We will explore the accommodation in Newport. I may come back with other accommodation found in and around Newport if that is ok.

Any further suggestions are welcome.

Darcy

Oregon
Level Contributor
970 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Oregon Coast

Our favorite place to stay in Newport is Elizabeth Street Inn. it's a favorite of others on this site as well. Newport offers more than Lincoln City in the way of restaurants, charm, local flavor. Good food & beer at Rogue on the Bayfront. Brewery & distillery at Rogue on south end of bridge. Great food at Georgie's @ Hallmark Inn (near Eliz St Inn). "Haunted" lighthouse & more. I totally agree with half-Brit: Better central location for visiting coast.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
96 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Oregon Coast

Thanks Wahia and half-brit for your assistance.

We have decided to stay 4 nights in Newport in late May. When are whales migrating on your coastline.

Will also check out the other suggestions.

Looking forward to May in Oregon.

Darcy

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,233 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Oregon Coast

You're most welcome... and thanks very much :-)

Whale migrations are in mid Dec and mid March, in general. However, here on the Oregon coast, we have resident populations that are here year 'round. You have a pretty good chance of seeing them from land at Yaquina Head lighthouse and/or Devil's Punch Bowl north of Newport. Depoe Bay has a whale watching center.

Both Depoe Bay and Newport have whale watching trips you can take.

Edited: 10 February 2014, 22:31
Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,065 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Oregon Coast

Darcy,

If you are going to be in Newport May 16-18, you might want to venture 1 hr south to Florence one day to enjoy the 107th Annual Rhododendron Days Festival.

florencechamber.com/chamber/107th-rhododendr…

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Oregon Coast

Sea Gypsy has a lot easier beach access than most places in Newport. However it is on busy 101. Not sure what you found in Newport, there are some places with fairly good beach access, but many do not.

That said we rarely stay in LC, cause beach access short drive away from Newport and Depoe Bay places. Actually Elizabeth Street is is on beach just 83 steps above it.

Mostly we stay in Depoe Bay cause we have part ownership in Whale Pointe, and we often see the resident whales from there.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,246 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Oregon Coast

Phirl--Elizabeth Street Inn in our favorite place to stay in the area. We usually take those stairs, but when the in laws were with us we just walk down the block and get onto the beach right there as it is easier for them. It is nice to have that option :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
96 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Oregon Coast

dengay

My wife would have loved to have attended the 107th Annual Rhododendron Days Festival.but we only dock in Seattle on 18 May. Will go to Florence for sure during our visit. May see you all at some time. Thanks to all who have provided their comments Darcy

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
96 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Oregon Coast

All booked and ready for the Oregon Coast adventure from 20 May to 26 May. 6 nights overall and now to plan what to see and do.

We are 2 days at Seal Rock then another 4 days up towards Lincoln City. Then back to Portland for 2 nights.

We have a rental car so will explore this area as much as possible.

We are not great hikers but 1-2 mile walks to lakes or waterfalls would be enjoyable. Have done whale watching in Australia so may not do this here but happy to view whales as previously suggested at Yaquina Head lighthouse.

Any other suggestions appreciated.

Darcy