We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leisurely 6-7 night trip for 2 ladies

Washington, Arkansas
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Leisurely 6-7 night trip for 2 ladies

My friend and I are in our late 50's - 60. We are wanting to tour the Oregon coast and i'm not sure how long to plan for. We will fly into Portland spend a night and rent a car. We are not hikers, mainly sightseers and some shopping with good food and lodging with great views. We have from 5-8 days. We do want to go from Astoria all the way to the Redwood Forest, then back to Portland. Any suggestions?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,949 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leisurely 6-7 night trip for 2 ladies

First suggestion would be to use all your 8 days :-)

We generally suggest traveling southbound along 101. Once you are in Crescent City, getting back to Portland the quickest way would be to take Hwy 199 to I-5, which is about 6 hours.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leisurely 6-7 night trip for 2 ladies

I agree with half-Brit's suggestion, traveling from north to south is the best way to see the Oregon Coast. The ocean is always on your right and there are many places along Hwy 101 to pull out and enjoy the view. What is your budget for lodging and when are you planning to make this trip?

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,047 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leisurely 6-7 night trip for 2 ladies

6 nights along the coast is really the optimum timeframe for a leisurely vacation along the Oregon Coast.

Answer Kitter's questions and we'll give you even more solid advice !!

Washington, Arkansas
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leisurely 6-7 night trip for 2 ladies

I would like to keep lodging $100 or less per night, if possible. I'm thinking about sometime in May or early June.

Washington, Arkansas
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leisurely 6-7 night trip for 2 ladies

I would like to keep lodging $100 or less per night, if possible. I'm thinking about sometime in May or early June.

Washington, Arkansas
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leisurely 6-7 night trip for 2 ladies

Thank you very much. That is the route I am looking at.

Oregon
Level Contributor
423 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leisurely 6-7 night trip for 2 ladies

What fun! I would likely spend a couple of nights in Cannon Beach and see the sites in that general area; Cannon Beach has nice shops; restaurants. Ecola State Park is beautiful.

Then I would spend a couple of nights in the central coast [Newport? Yachats?] and explore that area -- Otter Crest Loops, Depoe Bay, Yaquina Head Lighthouse, Newport [Nye Beach has fun shops; the old bayfront is fun to stroll around]. Yachats is considerably smaller; quaint [we stay at the Fireside Inn].

Heading south, Florence has a nice old bayfront for shopping, restaurants. Good place to stretch your legs and/or eat lunch.

Towards the southern stretch, I like to stay in Bandon -- cute downtown, great views, nice beaches with huge rocks. Cape Blanco is very beautiful [lighthouse at the western-most spot in Oregon].

Further south are Gold Beach and Brookings -- more beautiful beaches.

Sounds fun!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,949 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Leisurely 6-7 night trip for 2 ladies

Memorial Day is very busy on the coast. You will be hard pressed to find lodging around Cannon Beach for $100 or under. Seaside will have more options. The other locations have less expensive options.

Click on the blue link below to read thumbnail sketches of the coastal towns:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g1438848-c152249/Oreg…

Two nights north, two nights central, two nights south :-)

Then you'd have one more to add in along the way somewhere?

Level Contributor
35,730 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Leisurely 6-7 night trip for 2 ladies

That's a low budget for Cannon Beach. Check out some lodging in nearby Seaside. Tides By The Sea should be in your budget. :)

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,047 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Leisurely 6-7 night trip for 2 ladies

In Yachats (central coast) look at the Fireside ( http://www.firesidemotel.com/ )