We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

On the Beach

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
715 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
On the Beach

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I really don't know the answer. I would like to do some photography on the beach while traveling down the coast at the end of May. Should I bring waders with me? They came in handy during my trip to Alaska last year. But, I'm not sure they will be needed on this trip. Thanks.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,070 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: On the Beach

NO!! Bring sturdy shoes layers of clothing.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
246 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: On the Beach

Waders can fill up fast with water if a large wave catches you not paying attention. If you want to get into the water bring a pair of water shoes, or take your shoes off and walk on in, sure its cold but nothing thats gonna kill you, unlike waders full of water.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: On the Beach

I've occasionally been in situations where I'd have liked a pair of boots to keep feet from getting wet and cold, but I'd never want to go any deeper than my ankles. And I wouldn't plan on using a tripod in those situations.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
715 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: On the Beach

Ok, thanks! I think I'll bring a pair of lightweight Neos overshoes with me. They are (supposed to be) waterproof and slip on over your shoes or boots. They come up to about mid-calf and close along the front and top with Velcro.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,180 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: On the Beach

We have what they call *sneaker* waves. Be careful!

Best

MrsO

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,825 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: On the Beach

We had a fatality along the coast this past week. A man leaning against a log was killed when a sneaker wave rolled the log over him. I know from personal experience how a photographer can get lost framing a shot through the lens and be oblivious to everything around him. That's not a good idea on our coast. Keep a constant lookout for sneaker waves and remember how even a seemingly little amount of water can lift those huge logs and other driftwood.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
715 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: On the Beach

Sorry to hear about the guy who was killed. I'll be careful. I plan to stay overnight at Cannon Beach, Newport, and Bandon. Can I get a tide chart good for all beaches or should I get a tide chart for each beach. I know, another dumb question. But, I usually shoot in the mountains, not on the beach.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,825 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: On the Beach

saltwatertides.com/dynamic.dir/oregonsites.h…

This ought to be helpful. Hopefully, your lowest tides will coincide with your schedule. Try and get to the beach 30-60 minutes before low tide to give you ample shooting time.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
715 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: On the Beach

Thanks. Very helpful.

10. Re: On the Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2015, 06:15