We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Magical place to spend 2 nights between Coos Bay and Pacific

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
161 posts
1,117 reviews
Save Topic
Magical place to spend 2 nights between Coos Bay and Pacific

Hi

We have slowly made our way from Los Angeles to Coos bay hugging the coast. I would like to find a "magical" place to sped 2 nights on the beach with a fabulous view in a nice hotel. Our budget is 100 to 150.

Coos bay to Pacific city and another 2 night pacific to Astoria. We like to make a lot of stops along the way and we don't necessarily have to stop in these towns. But would like to spend 2 nights somewhere really special.

Thanks

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,069 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Magical place to spend 2 nights between Coos Bay and Pacific

At that price range I'm not sure you'll find any place that could be called "magical." Maybe 20 years ago. Nowadays, "clean" is about the best you can hope for.

Sorry. :-(

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Magical place to spend 2 nights between Coos Bay and Pacific

Au contraire!

Starviagera, look at the Fireside Lodge in Yachats. This time of year, oceanfront king is $125 weekday nights, $140 weekends.

Here it is:

http://www.firesidemotel.com/

You can find others in Newport but I think the Fireside will fit the bill perfectly for you :-)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Magical place to spend 2 nights between Coos Bay and Pacific

p.s. I was telling DH about this thread, and he suggested that you might like to look at Moolack Shores, just north of Newport. Ocean front and each room is *unique*. I think it will be in your price range:

http://moolackshores.com/

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,729 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Magical place to spend 2 nights between Coos Bay and Pacific

Magical is in the eye of the beholder. I love staying in Neskowin, a little community half way between Lincoln City and Pacific City. We have stayed at the Chelan many times and I stayed at the Neskowin resort last year in September with two friends who were visiting from Austin. The views from these places are fabulous! Proposal Rock is a big haystack rock right on the shoreline. When they saw this view, they were both mesmerized. He even ended up proposing to her on the beach while I took pictures. It wasn't planned. He just let me know about an hour before he did it and asked that I photograph the event. Now THAT was magical! Here is a link to a great rental company that I have used for many years -

neskowinbeachvacations.com/neskowinresort.htm

The condos are individually owned so they are all different. I am not sure if they are winter rate right now but if so, they are only about $100 a night. And it is really nice because you have a kitchen to cook in and a living room to sit in and admire the view! Just ask them which of the available units is the nicest with the best view.

Edited: 12 May 2014, 00:01
Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Magical place to spend 2 nights between Coos Bay and Pacific

I second the Fireside Motel, especially the ocean front rooms. It has a nice path along a short bluff. The area is incredibly scenic.

Yachats/Cape Perpetua

fs.fed.us/r6/…

Lots to see in Newport Old town, Sylvia Beach Hotel (even just to visit it), State Parks, Aquarium, to name just a few... http://discovernewport.com/

Edited: 12 May 2014, 03:53
Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Magical place to spend 2 nights between Coos Bay and Pacific

Inn at Cape Kiwanda in Pacific City.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
161 posts
1,117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Magical place to spend 2 nights between Coos Bay and Pacific

Thanks for everyone's help. As is off season, we found a $150 promotion at the Overleaf Lodge for a suite in front of the ocean with a magical view. OregonJohn was the only answer I saw before we left Coos bay this morning and it was depressing, so I was not expecting to find my perfect place to spend 2 days, but luckily we checked out this place and got a great suite with all the bells a whistles for a great price. This and Cambria are the two best in front of the Ocean stays so far. As we travel with no plan and we don't know where we are going to stop is difficult to research the hotels. Dean's had great reviews and we checked it first, but it was a bit more budget that we wanted, so we turned back and asked here and were very surprised to get such a great place for the price.

As we make our way to Astoria I will be checking out your suggestions if it happened to be in the place where the night hit us.

Thanks again.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,069 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Magical place to spend 2 nights between Coos Bay and Pacific

Windjammer is right on the money -- magical is in the eye of the beholder. We've stayed in all the aforementioned suggestions but can't say we were overwhelmed. However, most of those stays have been a few years in the past -- since we got our Worldmark membership 12 years ago, very few of our Coast trips involve non-WM lodging (maybe one or two a year). We did stay at the Inn at Cape Kiwanda in the past year, and while it's very nice, not sure it meets my definition of "magical."

Just my opinion that $100-$150 may get you lodging that's clean and comfortable, but nothing that will make you say "WOW." Don't want to foster too-high expectations.

Edited: 12 May 2014, 06:01
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Magical place to spend 2 nights between Coos Bay and Pacific

I'm glad you found the Overleaf and that is a great price for it! The Fireside next door is owned by the same folks. I thought that you would think the rocky shoreline view was 'magical' and Yachats is a pleasant and scenic teeny town :-)

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
161 posts
1,117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Magical place to spend 2 nights between Coos Bay and Pacific

Thanks!. We were lucky they were running a charitable promotion. We needed to rest for 2 nights. We like to keep moving forward, but we needed 2 nights rest.