We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather/Climate

uk
Level Contributor
378 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Weather/Climate

Can anyone tell me on average what is the temperature around mid August on the coast e.g. Newport, Florence?

Thanks

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
4,235 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather/Climate

www.weatherbase.com is your source for historical weather.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,653 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather/Climate

Depends on marine layer and how far onshore it comes. Temps can vary greatly through the day as the sun breaks through (or doesn't). I've spent time during the summer on the coast when we've needed sweatshirts and windbreakers all day...and times when lots of sunblock cream had to be used and we spent the entire day out on the sand sunbathing. You pay your money and you take your chances.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,065 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather/Climate

I've been tracking the weather here in Florence for 20 years. The average low for the month of August, 1/2 mile from the beach is 52.8ºF (11.6ºC) and the average high is 73.7ºF (23.3ºC).

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,228 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather/Climate

Well, you have picked two locations that will have different weather from each other, even though they are both on the coast and not too far from one another!

And then, to add to oregonpoppa's information, it depends upon just where you are in a town!

For example, if you are on the beach in Newport, it will be anywhere from 4º to 10º F cooler there than if you were just a half mile or mile inland -- still in town. There will be a breeze in summer. Sometimes it's mild, sometimes it's stronger.

Florence is tucked behind sand dunes so I find it's usually a touch warmer there than north of town where you're exposed to the ocean breezes more.

In terms of numbers, it rarely gets over about 65º F near the beaches. (Unless there is a heat wave, of course!)

If you are looking for a warm beach, you need to look farther south.

uk
Level Contributor
378 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather/Climate

Thanks for that and very useful website. Thought it would be bit cooler than inland. Am doing new pits re some accommodation.

6. Re: Weather/Climate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Oregon Coast