We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When is concidered the "off season" and how many days?

Clinton, Iowa
Level Contributor
16 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
When is concidered the "off season" and how many days?

My friend and I( 50ish females) are planning a coastal trip for 2015.We would like to go when the hotel prices are cheaper so we can do more on our some what frugal budget.. Our first thought was the last week of April.We are planning on landing in Portland and driving to Hood River first. Stay and play for 2 days then back track and start in Astoria and work our way down the coast with Seaside being our first stop for 3 nights.We will have 7 days to be on the coast and would like to see as much as possible, stopping when we see or hear about something we just have to do! .Next stop would be in Florence for 3 nights.And thought we could go to Brookings as a day trip to finish seeing the coast. Portland will be our last stop.Am I over extending us in our adventures?We like wineries,waterfalls,lighthouses and just enjoying the scenery so I know we will have enough to keep us busy.What's your thoughts?

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,434 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When is concidered the "off season" and how many days?

Not sure when you would consider it the "off season" for the coast. Certainly, other than summer. However, many residents of the Willamette Valley flock to the coast during the winter for two reasons: (1) to sit by a fireplace in a oceanfront hotel and watch the storms come in; and (2) because it is often warmer and sunnier in the winter than it is inland in the winter.

April is one of those transitional months. It can be quite wet and stormy, but the flowers are starting to bloom as well.

Our coastal experts will be offering you good advice, but I'm confident they'll tell you that 3 days in Seaside in April will be about two too many. Three nights in Florence will be debated also. I'd plan to spend that time in Newport and Yachats, where you'll find a lot more to do.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When is concidered the "off season" and how many days?

Think you might find some lower prices mid-week after Labor Day, and before Memorial Day . Astoria might be good place to try, Seaside may be, Cannon Beach probably not.

Florence is not a place we stay often so not sure about deals there. Florence is mostly inland from ocean. Though Dunes there are nice and a short drive.

We stay often on central coast. several motels on 101 in Newport at good price, but not on ocean. Ocean front places cost more. We stay at Waves. if you get top floor can see ocean, but not easy to get to it. fairly decent price.

Lincoln City has a few places on ocean like D Sands but not sure of prices

Edited: 30 May 2014, 04:52
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When is concidered the "off season" and how many days?

Bandon would be another place to consider on the South Coast-between Florence and Brookings- suggest a night here as well.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,029 posts
1,074 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When is concidered the "off season" and how many days?

Hi, I've lived on the Oregon coast for many years, and other than a month or so in the dead of cold & rainy winter, there really is no "off" season anymore.

That said, prices tend to go up usually around the first of June. Some motels put them up as early as April, others sometime in May. They will stay higher through about late September to mid-October, give or take.

There are MANY motels all along the coast that are NOT expensive, even in summer! You can easily find lodging in late spring for under $80/night, or even less . . . but that won't be in a deluxe oceanfront resort! No, that will be in a clean comfortable older smaller individually owned motel. A few of these may have ocean views, but most are located on the main road, perhaps within walking distance of the beach or bay.

What will your budget be?

As far as your proposed locations, er, Seaside is usually not the first choice for folks other than families, although there are some motels in quieter locations. It is a crowded, congested family-fun oriented town.

Florence is slightly inland behind sand dunes. It does have one motel on the beach, but you have to drive a fair distance to even see the ocean around Florence.

Brookings is about 3 hours one way from Florence.

Perhaps a better plan would be to stay in Astoria or if your budget allows, Cannon Beach. Astoria is on the river, not ocean, but has a lot to do and see. Then a couple of nights in Newport or Yachats, and at least one night in Brookings or Crescent City, Calif.

Then return to Portland via Hwy 199 and I-5, about a 6 hour drive from Crescent City.

Here is a brief description of the Oregon coastal towns:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g1438848-c152249/Oreg…

Clinton, Iowa
Level Contributor
16 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When is concidered the "off season" and how many days?

Thanks for your input.I may have to rethink things....Again!

Clinton, Iowa
Level Contributor
16 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When is concidered the "off season" and how many days?

Thanks for you advice!

Clinton, Iowa
Level Contributor
16 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When is concidered the "off season" and how many days?

I was looking here too..Thank you.

8. Re: When is concidered the "off season" and how many days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 May 2014, 13:47
Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When is concidered the "off season" and how many days?

Many places offer 3 nights for the price of 2 during off season so you may want to look into that. This applies to many vacation rental homes and condos and generally from October-April or sometimes into May.

We often stay in Neskowin. The Proposal Rock condos are really nice with fabulous views right on the beach! If two of you are willing to share a queen bed and the other on a comfortable sofa couch, you can get a nice place for $99 a night with the 3rd night free so that works out to about $70 per night! I love this little community because it is quiet yet conveniently located to explore areas north and south.

I often rent from Gray Fox Vacation Rentals - neskowinbeachvacations.com/neskowinresort.htm

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: When is concidered the "off season" and how many days?

Most of us understand "off season" as the time when there are fewer visitors than in "high season". Heck, they even have off seasons in Hawaii, and we certainly do in Oregon. I've stayed in many lodgings along the coast, and up until about a month ago, got offers from several of them promoting low season rates, so if you're prepared for the possibility (certainty?) of rain and cool-to-downright-chilly, the last week in April should be fine.

If the goal is to see as much as you can, I'd question that 3 nights in 2 different towns is the best way to accomplish that. I think you'd do better with 2 in the north, 2 on the central coast, and 2 south. My favorite towns in those sections are Cannon Beach (with Manzanita a close 2nd), Yachats, and Bandon. If you want to see the redwoods in northern California, it might be better to do 2, 2, 1, and 1, with the last night in Brookings or Crescent City.

Happy planning!