We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oregon Dunes to Portland, with one-night stop along the way

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
101 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Oregon Dunes to Portland, with one-night stop along the way

My husband and I are planning a two-week motorcycle trip from SF to Oregon. We'll be driving up the coast to Portland, camping for one night at the Oregon Dunes, then we have to decide where to stay the next night, before continuing on to Portland. Among the Newport, Lincoln City, Tillamook and Seaside areas, how far north would you recommend going? I was considering staying a night in Lincoln City and then driving through the wineries to Portland, but was wondering if it's worth continuing up to Cannon Beach and that area. We spend a lot of time on the California coast between Santa Cruz and Bodega Bay and will have driven up the southern Oregon coast. Is the northern Oregon coast different enough to warrant the extra mileage?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,896 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oregon Dunes to Portland, with one-night stop along the way

You're not planning to ride from SF all the way to Florence in one day are you? Hope not!

There are three sections of the Oregon coast that have great scenery:

South- between the CA border to Port Orford

Central- between just north of Florence to about Yachats

North- between just north or Tilamook to Cannon Beach

Along the rest of the coast, there are shorter sections of lovely ocean views, or farms/fields/ranches and so on. There are just a couple areas that are dull, and a few where the highway goes through congested towns.

From Florence area, it's only about 3½ hours or so to Portland, so you would have plenty of time to continue north all the way to Astoria if you choose. From there it's two hours to Portland. Here are some photos from around Cannon Beach:

tripadvisor.com/…LIGHTBOXVIEW

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,038 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oregon Dunes to Portland, with one-night stop along the way

There is a noticeable difference between the three "most scenic" sections half-Brit listed above. Most notable will be the lack of sea stacks north of Port Orford. Whether it is worth it is a personal decision that cannot easily be answered without knowing you better.

Florence to Astoria takes about 4.5 hrs of straight driving, give or take 30 minutes, so going this route to Portland will make for a long day. It's doable (I've done it more times than I care to count!!), but it won't leave you much time to stop and take in the beauty.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,066 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oregon Dunes to Portland, with one-night stop along the way

Well, actually you can drive SF to Florence in a day -- we've done Santa Rosa to Depoe Bay more than once.

Of course, you can forget about any scenery stops of more than 5 minutes. And certainly no leisurely lunch on the way.

Just depends on how you prefer to travel. Slow and easy, stop and see every "World's Largest Ball of String," or pedal to the metal, hurry up and get there so I can relax by the pool!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,896 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oregon Dunes to Portland, with one-night stop along the way

>>From Florence area, it's only about 3½ hours or so to Portland<<

The rest of that sentence should have said: . . . going the fastest way - inland to I-5 then north.

--

On a motorcycle, OJ? Lol

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,038 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oregon Dunes to Portland, with one-night stop along the way

I knew what you meant half-Brit but the OP may not have.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
101 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oregon Dunes to Portland, with one-night stop along the way

We're definitely not going SF to Florence in one day -- that would be crazy, and we're not that crazy. We're stopping around Fort Bragg, Crescent City, Florence, TBD and then Portland. Right now I'm leaning toward skipping the northern part of the coast and spending our time enjoying the central part. It seems there are a lot of nice state parks there, so we'd probably camp somewhere a bit south of Newport and then head from there to Portland the next day. Distance-wise, this looks reasonable?

From the central coast to Portland, what's the most scenic route (on paved roads)? We're happy to drive for slightly longer if it means nicer roads/prettier scenery.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,038 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oregon Dunes to Portland, with one-night stop along the way

The most scenic route would by hwy 38 out of Reedsport. It follows the scenic Umpqua River for about 38 miles (to Elkton).

If you are going to spend time along the central coast, then make sure you travel out to Sunset Bay/Shore Acres State Parks!! They are a bit out of the way (~10 miles SW of Coos Bay/North Bend) but WELL worth the trip!!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,896 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oregon Dunes to Portland, with one-night stop along the way

Definitely Hwy 38. If you want to take the extra time, instead of I-5 all the way to Portland, you could go a bit west near Eugene and pick up 99W and take that route north. Or, north of Albany, leave I-5 and go east to Scio and take the highway north through Silverton then loop the back way round to Oregon City. I think that's Hwy 213.

9. Re: Oregon Dunes to Portland, with one-night stop along the way

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2015, 05:16