We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beachcombing question

hollister, Ca
Level Contributor
77 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
beachcombing question

We are visiting Oregon in August and spending some time on the coast from Tillamook to Astoria. Are any of the beaches in this area good for beachcombing? Driftwood. agates, shells, just about anything is of interest to me.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,150 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beachcombing question

We have good luck finding sand dollars in Gearhart at low tide.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,027 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: beachcombing question

1survivorfan,

i havent been to the coast in a looooooong time so take what i have with a grain of salt or sand.

but we use to go to the beach a lot when i was a kid and from what i remember there was alway some driftwood at every beach we went to. Some of it was used for camp fires where allowed.

I will list them so others in the know can say no if its not true anymore or the beach has disappeared.

> seaside

> cape lookout

> arch cape

> Honeymoon State Park

> Sunset Beach State Park

> Fort Stevens

I'm sure I'm missing some since we spent a lot of time down there.

But also from what i remember, the winter times was usually the best since that brought more junk to shore.

Also, you and many other beachcombers will be out there. So if you want any of the shells or floats you have to get out really early. I only found one float in my times i was down there and it was broke.

good luck

Edited: 15 July 2014, 04:57
r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,027 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: beachcombing question

i forgot to add,

if you're lucky, you may find some bees wax.

www.nagagroup.org/BeesWax/about/about.htm

Edited: 15 July 2014, 05:01
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beachcombing question

Tillamook is inland as it's dairy farming country :-) Astoria is on the river. r c's memory is correct in that a lot of 'stuff' washes up with the greater tide & wave action in the winter. But every beach I've been on in Oregon has something, even in the summer! You'll have better luck in the less populated areas.

hollister, Ca
Level Contributor
77 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: beachcombing question

Thank You!! Just being on the beach is a treasure in itself, but finding something to bring home is a true delight!

Virginia
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: beachcombing question

Are there any restrictions on what can/cannot be collected from the beach? Aside from, obviously, no living creatures.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,540 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: beachcombing question

Take nothing from tide pools. Do not mess with any debris that washes up from the Japanese tsunami. Call local authorities. Check with each state beach info board to see about specific local restriction since some have endangered or unique vegetation, etc.

8. Re: beachcombing question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2015, 05:15