We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RV down the Oregon Coast in October

Frankston, Australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
RV down the Oregon Coast in October

Hi. My wife and I are picking up a 22' RV in Ferndale, Washington and plan to travel down the Oregon Coast and ending up in San Francisco. We have 3 weeks in October to do it. We want to visit the Olympic Peninsula on the way. How many nights do you recommend there and where to stay? What places and attractions should we see there as well? What towns and attractions along the Oregon Coast should we stop at? We both like sightseeing and don't mind hiking. Is the Columbia River Gorge too far out of our way? Also Crater Lake? Cheers. Steve.

Newport, Oregon
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: RV down the Oregon Coast in October

You might enjoy visiting some of the coast's lighthouses, beginning with Cape Meares in Oceanside, Tillamook Rock in Cannon Beach, Yaquina head and Yaquina Bay in Newport, Heceta Head outside Florence, Cleft of the Rock in Yachats especially. While in the in the area of Oceanside etc. you can visit Astoria (where Goonies was filmed) which is a lovely little town and has lots to see and do (tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g60806-Activitie…) , Tillamook has some unique places like the cheese factory and tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g52097-Activitie… Newport has the aquarium and some great shops on the Bay Front and in south Beach around the aquarium and some great dining. There are lots of hiking trails (at various levels of difficulty) all the way down the coast and some beautiful beaches. If the dune buggies are still running in Florence in October, you'll have great fun. You can ride along or drive yourself. There are black bears around there so keep an eye open, lol. That's about all I can offer at this time. Have a great trip!

2. Re: RV down the Oregon Coast in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 August 2014, 01:31
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,009 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RV down the Oregon Coast in October

Please have a map at hand as I say the following. You have not mentioned some other sites that might guide your decisions as to which route you take.

En route from Ferndale, you could visit Seattle, Mt. Rainier National Park, Mt. St. Helens National Volcanic Monument and the Columbia R. Gorge then continue to Portland and the OR coast.

When you Google these locations, decide how much time you wish to spend. Mt. RNP, pretty much a full day; Mt. St. H., a half day; the CRG, at least a half day. Etc. Add this time to the driving time shown on the Google Maps I provide, below.

If you wish to see Olympic National Park, allow at least 2 very full days, it includes a lot of driving just to get to the highlights. But, if you choose ONP, then your route might well be south via Astoria to the OR coast. The map shows you driving on to Whidbey Island; you could spend a whole day exploring it. Lovely.

Option 1: https://goo.gl/maps/Ff0KG

Option 2:https://goo.gl/maps/MtZr7

Along the OR coast, I like the towns of Astoria, Cannon Beach, Depoe Bay, Newport, Yachats, Bandon, Gold Beach, and on through the magnificent Redwoods. You'll have little or no trouble at this time of year finding campgrounds, but a DE, half-Brit, knows not only the coast and more, but RVing.

One caution; the daylight hours are much fewer, so I'd plan early starts.

Edited: 01 August 2014, 01:51
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RV down the Oregon Coast in October

Ferndale funny place to pick up an RV, but if that is given. You could head for ferry at Coupeville then 101 to Port Angeles to start ONP visit. Missing Seattle. you could head inland at Aberdeen from 101 to catch Mt St Helens. then to Astoria and down the coast. Or you could go on to Portland from MtStH to see Columbia R Gorge then to coast at either Astoria or Lincoln City

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,020 posts
1,071 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RV down the Oregon Coast in October

Hi again :-)

For Olympic NP info, post on that forum in Washington. Since there are few RVers on TripAdvisor, let them know your 22 footer is the same length as a full size long bed crew cab pickup. Most people think 'giant' when somebody mentions motorhomes!

You could make a loop round Olympic peninsula, go south on 101 in Washington, then east to Columbia River Gorge. Then west out to the coast, and south along the coast.

In October you should not have much trouble finding spots in RV parks and campgrounds, particularly with a small rig. There are over 100 campgrounds and RV parks just along the Oregon coast! Here is a list:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g1438848-c194822/Oreg…

And a thumbnail sketch of each Oregon coast town:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g1438848-c152249/Oreg…

Crater Lake is out of your way, but since you have a decent amount of time I think you could fit it in. Before you get close though, check the local weather. It's been known to snow there early in the fall!

Frankston, Australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RV down the Oregon Coast in October

Thanks everyone for your advice, We will try to see as much as we can. Just hope the RV doesn't guzzle too much gas. Thanks again. Steve.

Chico, California
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: RV down the Oregon Coast in October

I am also thinking of RVing the Oregon coast in October, although going from No. Ca up to Oregon. I can borrow my brothers camper on the back of a pickup so sounds about the same size that Steve is renting. There will be 2-3 of us going for 5 days. These posts were helpful. Thanks!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,020 posts
1,071 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: RV down the Oregon Coast in October

Shouldn't be too bad, Steve B. If you plan to spend time in the redwoods, be sure to fill up before you leave Oregon - Gold Beach is fine. You'll see why I say that as soon as you get to Crescent City, Calif!

-

Welcome to TripAdvisor, Sandy R. Glad to be of help :-)

Frankston, Australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: RV down the Oregon Coast in October

Thanks for the gas tip half-Brit. I have heard that gas is a lot dearer in California. Cheers. Steve.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: RV down the Oregon Coast in October

In Cal you have to pump your own, and pay more for the privilege.

Get answers to your questions about Oregon Coast