We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cannon Beach Day Trip from Portland

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Cannon Beach Day Trip from Portland

My husband and I are visiting Portland in the first week of September and want to make a day trip to Cannon beach (and loop back through Tillamook). I've been reading tons of itineraries, but am stumped with one thing. Should I:

- Leave Portland and head to Tillamook first (via US-26 to OR-6) and go North to Cannon Beach

- Or do the reverse, taking 26 straight to Cannon beach, then down 101 and back to Portland via Tillamook/OR-6

I know it makes more sense to go South down 101, but I have read that 6 is more scenic than 26, and I'd like to stay on the coast for sunset (preferably at Cannon beach, but not necessary), so knowing that I'll be driving back to Portland in the dark, I wonder if it would be easier to take 26 all the way back directly from Cannon.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cannon Beach Day Trip from Portland

Yes, there's nothing on hwy 26 between Cannon Beach and Portland really worth stopping for, except possibly Camp 18. But I'd forego that for the scenery along hwy 6, much of which follows the scenic Wilson River, and includes this little gem between mile-markers 30 and 29 (at the back of a large gravel area on the left side of the road): https:/…5877138466_04b74bed46_z.jpg . Not to mention the Tillamook Forest Center, if it's of interest: http://www.tillamookforestcenter.org/ .

The reason it's recommended to drive the coast north to south is so that you don't have to cross traffic going in and out of scenic overlooks and parks. That shouldn't be much of a problem for you until Manzanita, but between there and Cannon Beach there are several scenic overlooks, and a couple state parks where I'd expect you'd want to pull off the road and spend some time. Even so, I wouldn't let the possibility of heavy traffic change your plans. Maybe you'll luck into the lull between when all the vacationers have gone home and the RVers take to the roads en masse. ;-)

Level Contributor
35,001 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cannon Beach Day Trip from Portland

Cannon Beach is a lovely place for a sunset! My daughter and I had lunch at The Wayfarer this past Friday. It is a highly recommended place for a meal in Cannon Beach. Happy Travels! :).

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,887 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cannon Beach Day Trip from Portland

>>Leave Portland and head to Tillamook first (via US-26 to OR-6) and go North to Cannon Beach<<

Yes, choose that option :-)

Hwy 6 is a lovely drive - and much slower and somewhat more winding than 26 - so you'll want to take it in the daylight. Hwy 26 has lots of trees but not many scenic vistas.

Camp 18 is a fun stop and I recommend it even if you don't eat. There is an outside logging museum and the building itself is a huge log structure that's worth seeing. There are lots of historical photos inside.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cannon Beach Day Trip from Portland

Just a heads up.... If you decide to stop by Camp 18, you'll probably need to leave Cannon Beach before sunset, which should be around 7:45pm in early September. There's not much to see there in the dark, and the restaurant closes at 8:00 or 9:00pm, depending on the day. I'd personally choose sunset at Haystack Rock every time, but YMMV.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cannon Beach Day Trip from Portland

Awesome, thanks for the info! We will plan on heading out in the morning via 6 then, and will pull off for any good scenery, then make our way to Cannon Beach to hang out, probably eat at Wayfarer and watch the sunset at Haystack Rock.

6. Re: Cannon Beach Day Trip from Portland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2015, 07:16