We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

black flies and mosquitos in July

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
686 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
black flies and mosquitos in July

Coming to Acadia the second week in July. Is it black fly season or heavy mosquito season? Of course, in summer we expect some bugs, but we just returned from a long weekend in the white mountains of New Hampshire, and ds was eaten alive by black flies on our 5 mile hike. Mild winter and early warm weather seem to have made them particularly vicious this year. What's the story in Acadia?

Mentioned in this post
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
United States
Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,903 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: black flies and mosquitos in July

Generally, by mid-July, the black flies are pretty much gone. They are emerging now---and have been for a couple of weeks. I haven't had much of a problem; perhaps I just haven't been in the right places. This time of year I try to avoid walks/hikes along streams.

Mosquitoes are more likely to be bothersome in mid-July and as you are a hiker, you know that around wetlands and standing water, and in the deep woods will be the highest concentrations.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,805 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: black flies and mosquitos in July

What cw said. But, personally, I've never had a problem with mosquitoes while hiking in Acadia. I think the ocean breezes blow them away.

Mentioned in this post
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,893 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: black flies and mosquitos in July

In general, flies and mosquitos are more numerous, more prevalent and more voracious (or at least it seems that way) in inland locations throughout Maine and NH than they are along coastal areas of both states.... more stagnant fresh water and fewer breezes in the mountains than at the shore...

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
4. Re: black flies and mosquitos in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 18:16