We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

search kick off questions

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
318 posts
178 reviews
Save Topic
search kick off questions

Just beginning my research on the Bar Harbor/Acadia area. Husband and I will likely travel summer of 2013 for at least 5 nights. I'm watching a few threads on here already, but wanted to ask a couple questions on tips for places to stay etc. Our goal is to find a reasonably priced location, clean, with staff to answer questions, and convenient for our activity. We don't want to break the bank though - we won't be in the room much during the day.

Biggest question - what is a reasonable amount per night to budget for our trip on lodging? We will want to be on the island.

A bit about us: we are in upper 30's/low 40's and are active. We like nature so hiking is going to be the big thing for us. Maybe kayak and a whale watch tour perhaps. I won't mind strolling through the stores for a few hours one day (or in the evening after dinner if they remain open).

We like reliably clean accomodations. I anticipate we'll want a room with a fridge/microwave as we'll eat most dinners out, but will likely pack a lunch many days. Breakfast out at least 3 times, but if included is fine.

I need darkness and quiet to sleep. So right off a busy road with noise won't work for me, or a place with thin walls. We do like the thought of being able to walk to dinner in the evenings (but now as I think of it, if I hike all day, may end up driving anyway)...so it is a toss up.

Any thoughts on what hotel or inn may suit us best? My aunt stayed in Bass Harbor at Ann's Point and loved it. It looks fantastic, but is probably more than we were hoping to pay.

any ideas or thoughts for us newbies welcome!

thanks

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bass Harbor
Bass Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: search kick off questions

There are a wide variety of lodging choices here in all sorts of different price ranges. A B&B like Anne's Point Inn in Bar Harbor will probably run you around $300 per night. But there are lots of B&B's in Bar Harbor. Some of the ones on quieter streets include Atlantean Cottage B&B, Ullikana, Bass Cottage. Most B&B's don't offer in room microwaves and refrigerators but there is usually one on the premises. I also wouldn't choose a B&B if you are planning to have most of your breakfasts out.

Try visiting www.sleepbarharbor.com for a more complete list of B&B's in Bar Harbor. You can search by amenity and availability.

Also visit www.barharborinfo.com for information on hotels and other lodging options such as cottages. Obviously, most of the larger hotels that will have the most amenities are also located in main locations. I wouldn't worry too much about noise anywhere. Bar Harbor is a pretty quiet town, especially in the middle of the night.

Keep in mind that the sun rises here very early and many people find it difficult to sleep in. This morning, the sun rose at 4:50.

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Atlantean Cottage
Atlantean Cottage
233 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Ullikana Cottage on the Harbor
Ullikana Cottage on the...
45 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bass Cottage Inn
Bass Cottage Inn
613 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
318 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: search kick off questions

WOW - thanks so much for the heads up on the early sunrise!! I'm more toward the western side of the central time zone so, that will be something to keep in mind! No wonder I saw people asking about breakfast joints opening at 5am!

I'll check out those websites...thanks!

Bass Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
123 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: search kick off questions

If you are looking for a quiet location, you might prefer the "quiet" side of the island, centered around Southwest Harbor. For the Quietside, take a look at

http://www.AcadiaChamber.com

for lodging options.

Mentioned in this post
Southwest Harbor
Southwest Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
australia
Level Contributor
104 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: search kick off questions

Hi, I can highly recommend staying at Aysgarth Station a fantastic B & B that we had the pleasure of staying at in May 2012.Located on a quiet street mid-town in Bar Harbor it is a easy stroll to cafes,waterfront,shops etc.Spotlessly clean,we had the Chatsworth Room which was spacious and had a large bathroom,top quality bedding and linens and breakfast is 5 star! (2 courses and more! )....The owners are so helpful and welcoming and are a wealth of info on hikes and things to do in the area.Great value in an expensive town,we would return, be aware they have lovely cats that sometimes wander downstairs but never in your room, a charming B & B.

Missy Australia

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
5. Re: search kick off questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2013, 20:16