We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Acadia with small children and adults allergic to lobster

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Acadia with small children and adults allergic to lobster

We are bringing our two girls, 3 and 6 months, for a week to the Bar Harbor area on Aug 25rd for a week. We've never been to Maine but we love to hike and have heard nothing but great things about MDI.

I'd love some ideas on easy, scenic hikes to take the girls on. We will be carrying our infant in a backpack, but our 3 year old will need to walk on the trails so we won't be able to go too far or on any strenuous routes. Any other recommended activities for little ones? We will actually be staying just over the bridge in Trenton but we are open to traveling around for the week.

Next, my husband and I are sadly very allergic to all seafood. I'd love to try one of the lobster pounds, but they are definitely out for us. What other family friendly restaurants would you recommend on MDI/Bar Harbor?

FInally, we arrive in Portland two days before our rental house is available. Is Camden a good in-between spot to stay before we make our way up? We are thinking of staying at the Camden Riverhouse.

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Acadia with small children and adults allergic to lobster

Can't help much with advice re: "the little ones" -- too long since we've been to Bar Harbor with any that age to be of much help there.... and since we can eat seafood, that's what we do in Bar Harbor, so will leave restaurant recommendations to those closer to that area...

However, I think Camden would make a nice mid-way stop -- harbor area is very walkable for all ages (so long as you keep a firm grip on the youngster). Kids of all ages enjoy watching the ships and boats in the harbor and the waterfall where the stream flows into the harbor itself. If you just want to let the little ones burn off some energy, the local park near the town library is a great place to do that.... And some good restaurants in Camden or nearby Rockland.... your innkeeper can help you find a place where the kids will also feel comfortable and be welcome....

Wolcott, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
890 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Acadia with small children and adults allergic to lobster

There are lots of trails that you can walk with small children. Wonderland on the quiet side of the island is really nice. It's fairly flat and if you do it at low tide there are loads of large, flat rocks to walk on and tidal pools with all sorts of cool stuff in them that kids love. Many of the carriage roads are great for kids. We liked the carriage road that went from Eagle Lake to Breakneck Ponds. It tends to be less used and the area around the ponds is lovely. When our daughter was 6 months old and then again at 2 1/2 we hiked a little way up the Gorham Mountain Trail. We only went as far as the Pathmaker marker. A little rocky in spots but it's short and beautiful. Little Long Pond on Rt 3 near Seal Harbor. It's a private carriage road but it's very nice; takes you to a small pond that is very shallow and warm and usually has lots of pollywogs and minnows. Young kids love it. Hike as far as the boat house. Other suggestions: The shore path along Loop Road, the shore path in Bar Harbor, cross over to Bar Island at low tide. You don't have to go any further than the sand bar. Easy and again, loads of things that kids love. Other things to do: Swim in either Echo Lake or Long Pond. Echo Lake is part of ANP. Warm, shallow lake. Long Pond has a small beach at the north end of the pond with a raft. Sand Beach just for beach combing, trying to get your feet wet (it's cold) and building sandcastles. For non-seafood...Geddys in downtown Bar Harbor is very family oriented and has a large menu. Their pizza is really good.

conn
Level Contributor
2,638 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Acadia with small children and adults allergic to lobster

the Jorden pond nature trail makes a nice family hike, also the trail on top of Cadilic mt. has great views for very litle effort.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Acadia with small children and adults allergic to lobster

Thank you so much for the great recommendations. We leave for ME tomorrow and really appreciate the help!

maryland
Level Contributor
285 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Acadia with small children and adults allergic to lobster

We are here in Acadia this week and have a 4 year old. She has been so much easier to entertain than my teens! Her favorites so far have been Sand Beach (bring a bucket and shovel), and 'climb rocking' at Cadillac Mountain. We are also staying in Trenton and ate tonight at.. I think it was called the Log House or something like that and it was very kid friendly and varied menu (yes, it had lobster but also had meatloaf, spaghetti, anything else you'd probably want.) We are doing the tidal pools tomorrow.

We stayed close to Camden on our way up at the Country Inn in one of the little cottages- good for kids and had a playground, pool and included breakfast (waffles, etc.) In Camden find the bridge that has all the plants- fun and you can sit and feed the ducks.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,455 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Acadia with small children and adults allergic to lobster

Glad you're having fun, pokemom. The restaurant is The Log Cabin, north of Bar Harbor on Route 3. http://www.logcabinbarharbor.com/

7. Re: Acadia with small children and adults allergic to lobster

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2013, 06:15