We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doing our lobster tour. Need some advice.

Chicago
Level Contributor
115 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Doing our lobster tour. Need some advice.

Hi folks,

I'm from Chicago and need some advice on Maine coastal areas. My fiance and I are desperately looking to get away from our wedding plannings. We have the Sept 24th weekend free for a 3-day weekend. We have always wanted to visit the Maine coastal area for sights and our own lobster tour. Is the timing too late for lobster season?

I was thinking of flying from Chicago into Portland. Is that the best airport to fly into for the mid coastal area?

Do you all have recommendations on where to stay that are near the coastal lobster pounds? B&B would be romantic!

We were thinking that we can hit up some lobster places for steamed lobsters and lobster rolls. I was looking at Red's Eats, 5 Island Lobster, etc...

Please help?

Thank you!

Tom

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Doing our lobster tour. Need some advice.

Lobster is in season year-round. You will have no problems finding lobster in September. While Red's Eats is "famous," I have never really had a bad lobster roll in Maine (and I really like lobster rolls!), so if the line is way too long, just head on to the next spot.

Yes, I think that Portland is the easiest airport to fly into and you should be able to find some good flights from Chicago.

There are some really nice looking inns in Boothbay Harbor. We never stay in them, as we are always camping when in that area, but I'm sure others can advise you if you read through some of the reviews on this site and post back with specific locations.

Chicago
Level Contributor
115 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Doing our lobster tour. Need some advice.

Thank you for the info CB48.

We booked tickets to fly in to Portland. I'm now looking at the inns in Boothbay Harbor area. I'm looking at the Flagship Inn on the edge of town (I think). I read thru the reviews and everyone liked the inn.

We were wondering if the lobster shacks also have steamed lobsters, or do they only serve lobster rolls?

Thank you!

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Doing our lobster tour. Need some advice.

The lobster shacks/co-ops will have lobsters. I specifically mentioned the lobster rolls as that is what Red's is famous for.

The Flagship Inn always looks busy, but is outside of town. If you don't mind driving or a longer walk, then it's probably OK. Again, I can't discuss the accommodations themselves, because we camp. :-)

Chicago
Level Contributor
115 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Doing our lobster tour. Need some advice.

We don't mind being outside of town. I walk ~3miles to/from work every day so walking to town should be ok. I think it's like 1 mile or something to town from the Flagship Inn.

God, I'm getting hungry for lobsters!!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Doing our lobster tour. Need some advice.

With only 3 days I'd fly into Portland, or Manchester NH or Boston, and stay in Southern Maine. Two Lights Lobster Shack in Cape Elizabeth, Beach Plum in Wells/Ogunquit, Fox's Lobster in York, Cape Porpoise Lobster, Port Lobster in Kennebunkport, Hebert's in Kittery etc.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Doing our lobster tour. Need some advice.

joesource: It takes less than two hours to drive from Portland to Boothbay Harbor (about an hour and a half on a good driving day). While the southern locations you list are good, I think the mid coast is a great area for lobster eating.

Edited: 23 August 2011, 23:33
Westport
Level Contributor
3 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Doing our lobster tour. Need some advice.

Hi, here are some suggestions. Getting hungry just thinking about it!

Boothbay: Tugboat Inn, never stayed there but nice casual place for lunch or dinner, right on the water

Pemaquid area: Muscongus Bay Lobster, casual outdoor seating in picnic tables. BYOB and some folks do it up, with tablecloths, flowers and candles. Contented Sole by the dock is also nice. If you get tired of seafood, Damariscotta River Grill in downtown Damariscotta is a nice place for a casual relaxing lunch or dinner.

Chicago
Level Contributor
115 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Doing our lobster tour. Need some advice.

Thank you very much for the suggestions! We ended up booking at the Flagship Inn. Looking fwd to visiting the area and eating some lobsters!!!

Mid Coast Maine...
Level Contributor
808 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Doing our lobster tour. Need some advice.

Although I live in the area now, I stayed at the Flagship many times over a two year period while looking for property. I cannot say enough about the place. Yes, it is a little out of town, and it is nothing fancy, but always spotless clean, well priced and run by great people. Check their reviews on here.....I believe I posted one a few years back.

10. Re: Doing our lobster tour. Need some advice.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 01:16