We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must See Places Between Bucksport and Brunswick

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
824 posts
863 reviews
Save Topic
Must See Places Between Bucksport and Brunswick

I know that it would be very easy to spend several days along mid coast Maine, but we will have just one day to enjoy the area after leaving Acadia National Park in mid-October. We love nature, lighthouses, hiking trails, and picturesque villages. The area looks rich in all of these. Since we can't stop to see everything, what would be the best stopping points on our week day drive to Brunswick?

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must See Places Between Bucksport and Brunswick

Hi Nashville!

Naturally, you'll be basing your trip along US-1. Other routes are available, and might even be quicker, but they go nowhere near the coast. US-1, for that matter, mostly stays out of sight of the water, with notable exceptions.

We liked Belfast. They've built a new high bridge over the Passagassawakeag River (the first time someone pronounced the word to me, I reflexively responded, "Such a smelly fart -- it couldn't possibly be one of mine!") then turned the old one into a splendid pedestrian walk with a fine view of the town waterfront. Walk across, and then stroll the main street to see the little shops.

Southeast of Rockland is Owl's Head, a fine lighthouse to drive down to see. Rockland itself also boasts an appealing city boardwalk along the harbor.

West of Rockland, the Maine coast is pitted with long river estuaries, and US-1 stays well inland. You could drive down a long peninsula to see the light house, such as ME-131 to Marshall Point south of Thomaston, or ME-32 to Pemaquid, returning by ME-130 to Damarascotta.

The premiere Maine coast seaside region between Bucksport and Brunswick, though, is the Boothbays. You follow ME-27. It's around 10 miles off the beaten track to places like Boothbay Harbor, East Boothbay, and so on. The region is dotted with islands, boasts several scenic lighthouses (most not accessible by car) and numerous places to overnight.

Happy travels!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must See Places Between Bucksport and Brunswick

vist this web site for information re bridge at Bucksport

@www.maine.gov/mdot/pnbo/ a must see!!

Also plan enough time to visit Fort Knox, at the same park

(ps bring a flashlight.)

If your time allows visit Campobello Island(Franklin Roosevelt's summer home) only national park funded by both Canadian and US governments. Lots of inns, camping; beautiful island.

Edited: 27 August 2011, 21:10
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
824 posts
863 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must See Places Between Bucksport and Brunswick

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm really looking forward to our trip to coastal Maine!

4. Re: Must See Places Between Bucksport and Brunswick

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 04:16
Get answers to your questions about Mid Coast Maine