We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MidCoast in Mid-June - crowds?

Beech Grove, Indiana
5 posts
Save Topic
MidCoast in Mid-June - crowds?

We will be running around the Mid Coast region on June 11, 12 (Tuesday and Wed).

How are the crowds at that time? Don't know if the area is in 'prime season' yet.

Thanks

Matt

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,807 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MidCoast in Mid-June - crowds?

Hi Matt!

Crowds? What crowds?

The crowds that swarm coastal Maine in July and August will not be in yet during mid-June. In fact, you should be able to get your pick of accommodations for as little as half the high summer price or, at the very least, about $20/night less than you'd pay in high summer.

Happy travels!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Beech Grove, Indiana
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: MidCoast in Mid-June - crowds?

Thanks, we have a place book already. Just wondering how the drive in from Boston Tuesday will be and how running around exploring Mid Coast on Wed will be.

Thanks much

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,807 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MidCoast in Mid-June - crowds?

Hi Again, Matt!

If you're taking I-95 from Boston, there's no reason to expect heavy traffic other than what's normal in a big city. In Boston itself, I-90 and I-93 go right under the heart of the city through a series of tunnels known as the Big Dig.

On summer weekends, south of Portland on I-95, there's often heavy traffic and slowdowns on Friday afternoons northbound, and on Sunday (or holiday Monday) afternoons southbound with Bostonians coming and going for weekend fun.

Along the central Maine coast US-1, the Ocean Highway, is the main street in the smaller towns, although there are by-passes for the larger towns. You'll find the usual business traffic, although I'd be surprised at serious tourist traffic jams in June.

Note, by the way, that "Ocean Highway" is a bit of a misnomer. US-1 doesn't run along the water over most of its length. The Maine central coast is heavily indented with rivers and inlets, such that it's impractical to build a through highway running from headland to headland. To see waterfront places, like Boothbay Harbor, Popham Beach, Castine, Stonington, etc. etc., you'd have to take spur roads off Route 1. We find these roads scenic and virtually always well paved, but a short bit of backtracking may be needed.

David

Edited: 10 May 2013, 21:00
Beech Grove, Indiana
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: MidCoast in Mid-June - crowds?

Thanks David,

I have read about Hwy 1 and while we will be on it we do plan to jump off and hit a few coastal areas on the way to Bar Harbor.

Great info, thanks much,

Matt

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,866 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MidCoast in Mid-June - crowds?

Matt -- Considereing it's mid-week in mid-June, I woulldn't expect any problems with "crowds" at all.... reminding you that "crowded" is a very subjective term... But mid-June will definitely be ahead of the more crowded times of mid-summer (July and August) and you should have llittle-to-no trouble visiting areas in the mid-coast that time of year. Have a great trip...

6. Re: MidCoast in Mid-June - crowds?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2014, 15:17