We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice on itinerary stops up Maine Coast

Toronto
Level Contributor
20 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Need advice on itinerary stops up Maine Coast

Have been reading through the posts extensively and trying to nail down the stops on our itinerary from Kennebunkport to Bar Harbour this summer. We are from Toronto and will be driving from there. Our plan is to start in the south and make our way up the coast with just a little bit of driving each day. We travel light so moving to new locations each day is ok. We like outdoor activities (hiking, biking, boat trips), food & restaurants, lobster shacks. We have accommodations tentatively lined up already. Tentative itinerary is as follows:

Day 1, 2: Kennebunkport (my husband used to vacation here with his family so he is looking forward to this stop for some childhood nostalgia)

Day 3: Boothbay Harbor

Day 4: Rockland

Day 5: Camden? Belfast?

Day 6: Blue Hill?

Day 7, 8: Bar Harbor

Day 9, 10: Driving back to Toronto

My question for the forum is around the stops in the middle section of the trip. Should we stay two nights in Rockland? What about Camden, Belfast, Blue Hill? Worth a stop for a night or just to pass through? Drop one of those and add another night in Bar Harbor?

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice on itinerary stops up Maine Coast

Belfast would be a nice stop for you, they have some nice restaurants there as well. They have lot's of little shops if you are looking to do some shopping also. They do have some nice walking area's along the waterfront. Another place you might visit where they have small hiking trails would be in Stockton Springs at Fort Point State Park. There is a lighthouse there, a pier and great beach walking too. Stockton Springs would be along your route from Belfast to Bar Harbor. I'm not sure about what there would be to do in Blue Hill, but if it were me I would spend the extra night in Bar Harbor instead. Hope this helps a little!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,520 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice on itinerary stops up Maine Coast

My suggestion would be to stop in Camden for a walk around and then drive to the top of Mount Battie for the view when you leave town. Then up to Belfast for the night. The next day I'd take a leisurely drive through Blue Hill to Stonington. This is a beautiful area of small islands, blueberry fields, and spent granite quarries. But I would still continue on to Bar Harbor late that afternoon.

After three nights in Bar Harbor I'd spend one night in Lubec. That area is sufficiently different from the rest of Maine that it is well worth a visit. You could cross over the short bridge from Lubec and see Campobello also.

Toronto
Level Contributor
20 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice on itinerary stops up Maine Coast

Thanks so much MelanieB and Bonniemaev. This is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for. Leaning towards the stop in Belfast and an extra night in Bar Harbor.

4. Re: Need advice on itinerary stops up Maine Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2015, 07:15