We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

my ferry experience Anacortes to Friday Harbor

jfd
west hills, ca
Level Contributor
333 posts
511 reviews
Save Topic
my ferry experience Anacortes to Friday Harbor

I was apprenhensive about making the ferry because of the need to line up hours in advance as recommended by the wash state ferry website. Now granted maybe the busy season has ended, but we had no trouble getting on the ferry either coming or going at pretty much the last minute.

We arrived at SEA at 11 got a rental car and drove up to make the 2:00 ferry. We arrived only 20 minutes prior but were able to make it. Leaving we had planned to make the 11:00 from Friday Harbor to Anacortes on a Sunday morning. We were told to be there at 8:15 just to be safe. We left our motel at 7:45 and I told my husband, "It's a long shot but let's see if we can get on the 8:05. We lucked out again. We had extra time to make our flight and stopped at the Chihuly Museum on the way. Anyway maybe it was a fluke (also the schedule changed last weekend from Summer to Fall) but we did good.

Virginia
Level Contributor
207 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: my ferry experience Anacortes to Friday Harbor

Thanks for your post. We are doing the same the next week, Oct 11, so your experience makes me a little less concerned about the timing.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: my ferry experience Anacortes to Friday Harbor

The guardian angels were watching over you and your husband that day! Congrats on a great trip, we are doing the same in summer 2014.

Frisco, Colorado
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: my ferry experience Anacortes to Friday Harbor

It s very confusing for a newbie even after reading zillions of posts. In September I want to return from San Juan islands to Seattle, catch plane, go home. Do I take the ferry from SJI to Anacortes than drive my rental car back to Seattle? Thank you for making my trip more clear.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: my ferry experience Anacortes to Friday Harbor

Jrstffn, was your question rhetorical? "Do I take the ferry from SJI to Anacortes than drive my rental car back to Seattle?" Well, yes.

The ferry system has added helpful "Congestion Tables to the websites. Basically, they look like this one for late summer (note the dates at top):

…wa.gov/ferries/traffic_stats/congestion/sum…

Here is the Ferry System explanation of that table and how to find it for each route:

Ferry Terminal Vehicle Congestion Table

To help avoid long ferry waits, WSF added color-coded sailing schedules to its website that suggest both the least and the most congested sailing times for drive-on passengers. See the tab titled "Best Travel Times" on the right side, near the top, of each route schedule page.

Edited: 02 August 2014, 14:47
5. Re: my ferry experience Anacortes to Friday Harbor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about San Juan Island